gold fish or tropical?

mitch

I've had goldfish for 4 months now and lost 2 this week.

I have a 40ltr tank and i am now paying off a 135ltr one. It comes with 6 tropical,lights,filters stand and decorations. Now what i dont know is wether to keep the tropical fish or stay with the gold fish.

I like colors, which tropicals have, but i dont like the 3 year life span they have when you can get 14years + with goldfish.

In Invercargill there is about 3 kinds (4 colors) of goldfish. Can you even get those off the wall colors in New Zealand or will tropicals have to be it.Tropicals have a wide range off species and colors.

:-?

hey mitch.

i think you have heard wrong if you think tropicals only last 3 years. some tropicals only live for 3 years yes but alot last much, much longer.

i say if you want the colours, and have a lil bit more dosh, and are commited to look after them then go tropicals. you will get great fun out of them and you will be happy you decided 2 go trop.

whatever your desicion...hav fun

**EVIL**

:bounce:

Hi Mitch,

From what I have read, Goldfish a terribly messy, and I think you need more space for Goldfish than you do for Tropical Fish, I maybe wrong there, so wait and see what other people have to say.

I have Tropicals and the selection is sooo much bigger than with Goldfish.

I used to have Goldfish, but found they needed to be cleaned out more often then my Tropicals, which became abit of a nusiance.

Good Luck with your decision.

Lynda

I have quite a few tropicals over 8 years old and the bigger cichlids last many years.

I could be smart and say 2 of your goldfish only lasted 4 months so 2 years for a small tropical is an improvement :D

I prefer the tropicals for the movement. Goldfish tend to hang about whereas tropicals zip about (unless you have fish like Siamese fighters or discus of course) and are more colourful.

Does the 2nd tank have a heaterstat? You will need one if you swap to tropicals.

i prefer tropicals because theres more selection. also the cichlids have ALOT more personality IMO, like oscars, jags etc etc, of course your tank would be too small for them but something like convicts, angels, kribensis (really colourfull) would be great in there.

there is a fairly good range of the ornatmental goldfish, those ones that have growths on their heads etc etc, but who wants to pay 90-200 bucks for one of them when you can pick up tropicals that are colourful, take less work and are more 'owner responsive'- not to mention alot cheaper! up to you though of course, if you really love goldfish keep them! i always found my goldfish tanks to be alot of work, they make alot of mess. have a look at www.fishprofiles.com might see something you like on there..

have fun making your decision!!