Hi, I'm new to aquarium keeping.

beachcomber

My interest is local cold water marine. I wish to collect specimens myself and need setup guidelines. Have been unable to purchase a book that covers this. Have a tank 1260 long by 400wide by 520 high. Need to know things like can I put sand in the bottom (want to keep some Dosinia anus and paddle crabs to study their interaction) but have been told coarse material is better. Then filtration? have been getting conflicting advise there. I am in the Orewa district north of Auckland, and air temperature is of concern. My house faces north and is very warm. Would be extremely grateful for some advise. Thankyou.

Welcome to The Fishroom. I have kept cold water rock pool marines myself but had major problems with the heat. You need a chiller.

I used soft sand and rocks from the place I gathered the critters (Kaikoura Coast) and used a hang-on-the-back AquaClear filter.

My tank had anemones, sea cucumber, chitons, shrimps, rockfish, triplefins, various types of starfish and brittlestars plus a hermit crab. We also had a baby octopus for a while but he escaped and died a fluffy death-by-carpet. :cry:

Hi Beachcomber and welcome along.

There are a few here that have or have had cold water marine tanks. I have seen a rockpool tank at a local school library and it looked great. I think the room had airconditioning which would have helped keep the temperature constant.

Good luck with your tank.

MCT