February 3, 200620 yr comment_87051 Hi guys. I've got a brackish tank in my hallway (sitting at about 1.010 I think) and there's all this almost colourless algae growing all over the walls of the tank. How can I combat this, other than never turning the lights on? It's not full salinity, so I'm kinda too scared to chuck a $40 shrimp in there! Any sane suggestions will be gratefully tried out! Report
February 3, 200620 yr comment_87054 Hmmm we get algae like that in our freshwater tank to, could have something to do with the water being quite hard with all the minerals in it, cause ours is our malawi tank which is full of coral rock to buffer the water. Report
February 3, 200620 yr Author comment_87063 mine's just standard Auckland tap water (minus chlorine etc of course!)... It looks to me to be too much light, and nothing competing with the algae so it grows unchecked... I'd rather not add chemicals either, if at all possible! Report
February 3, 200620 yr comment_87064 yeah ours is normal straight tap water too.... adding the salt puts minerals in the tank that could be contributing the same way the coral rock in our tank contributes.... and our tank gets 4 hours a day with the light on at night and the rest of the time its sitting where it doesnt get direct sunlight. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.