MY FIRST BETTA SPAWN!!!

Gatito

YAY!!! My boy was being so uncooperative, and was just ignoring his first girlfriend, but as soon as i showed him a different girlie, POW! he was zooming around and flaring and doing a little twirly dance in front of the divider. It was soooo funny!

I let them in together 2 days ago, a day or so ago we had a nice bubblenest, and i came home today to find little white jelly eggs sitting in there.

Have taken mommy out, dad was chasing her away and nipping her, and he's been so good, picking up stray eggs and putting them back. It's so exciting! And he's doing so well for a new daddy (til he tries to eat them of course :D )

Just wanted to share my excitement with you all - Dad's a bright red veiltail and mum's a bright blue/violet colour, so it'll be fun watching the bubbas colours develop.

Ciao!

thanks. oh yeah, definitely want to show off my little triumph!!

Just had a bit of a fright - daddy was grabbing eggs from the edge of the nest and swallowing them, and he wasn't putting them back so i thought he was eating them. Then after about 30 secs he went under the nest and i saw him gulp this clump of eggs out of his mouth and into the middle of the nest instead.

Scared the beejeebees out of me. Good thing i waited and watched before taking him out - i guess he was just securing any that might have detatched from the edge.

Will post photos as soon as they start showing some colour, and will let u guys know if any other little stories result as well

I'm sure that's just a trick the males play so that you buy them a whole harem :D "No i don't like her, go get some more..."

My first girl was way too young, so glad i realised (finally - what a newbie!) and it's worked out. Good luck with yours!!!

• 1 month later...

We have had a male and female in one of those Betta containers that stick on the side of the main tank for 2 weeks now. He is desperately interested in her but all she does is sit in her corner on the bottom. He is built a bubble nest of sorts but nowhere near the size that I've seen on the web. Wondering if she needs another male to get her interest up or, as has been suggested somewhere on the forum, might she be too young? I think she is certainly getting rounder but then I'm wondering if my eyes are playing tricks on me? Wondering too if absence might make the heart grow fonder and remove her completely for awhile?

Any ideas?

I had the same thing but reversed. My female didn't like the male and nothing had happened after 2 days so I removed the male (crowntail) and added the other male (halfmoon) well with in 2-3 hrs they were spawning.

They spawned on the 24th of March (oops hehe edited) and eggs had hatched during the night and were all there on the 26. So mine took just over a day to hatch. The fry were free swimming as of last night (27th) and daddy is still in there getting them, cleaning them and putting them back to the nest. I am going to be taking him out later today just in case he starts to eat the bubbas. But really exciting stuff alright

BTW Taniwha the bubble nest doesn't have to be huge like the ones on the net as they normaly show nest that are out of the ordinary and are super huge. My males often start a small nest (enough bubbles to cover a 20-50cent piece) but when I let the female go he finishes it off just before spawning.

Good luck :D

Good luck. :bow:

Go for it, and read some of the posts regarding Betta's that are on the site.

I can see the price of Betta's dropping to where they should be with all that are being bred at present. :)

It seems to me to be the fashionable fish to breed at the moment.

I would LOVE TO GET my stcky little paws on some "GOOD" butterfly of Cambodian fighters; also an EMERALD GREEN Pair..... But,

Hope springs eternal.