Well its started...

Pies

Well tank is finished! Stand is finished! & I have got about 400ltrs of salt water in the tank, about 15kg rock (smaller pieces) and 40kg sand/crushed coral.

Had a few shrimp/co-pod thingies but they have all died, I suspect the increase in temprature (from 14-24).

So now I am in panic mode. Will the tank hold? Is the stand level? Will the overflow/stand pipe work. Am loosing sleep.... ACK! So many things to consider... AM regreting my DIY tank and stand now. Should have had it made, would feel 'safer'. . .

Tommorow night I get the last topup of water... Then on holiday for a week. When I come back I return with lighting, a skimmer, a return pump and over 100kg of LIVE ROCK!

ITs nice to see it all come together finally. But still have a lot to worry about yet...

So am getting closer to having it all come together.

Now anyone out there who has marines and wants to donate coral etc let me know :)

PEETY - hows you tank going? You were having problems last time we heard from ya. I'll be in Auckland (north shore) on Easter Saturday, so if your near there we should hook up.

Cheers

Pies

Big congrats Pies.

I suspect that a DIY stand will be better than any custom built one if you look at any of the stands that come with tanks they only have a few pieces of MDF suppoting them and thats for up to 300ltrs = 350kgs (inc rock etc)

How long till the first fish go in ? where are you getting the live rock from ?

Yeah the DIY stand is OK. But I did fail school cert woodwork... The stand is made from 4by2s for the legs (6) and plywood. Would post some pivs but don't know how. Will have a www site up one eday soonish.

The tank is DIY as well. 10mm all glass. 1600x700x650high, total about 700ltr. It has reinforcing accross the bottoms and 3 'bands' accross the top, but has no lid (open top for evaporation). Has holes drilled in the bottom and 2 overflows in each back corner (to drain into sump).

I agree with what you said about MDF. MDF and water a really quite ppor mixes. I am sure they only use it cause its cheap and flat.

I am getting the live rock 2nd hand from a guy who has been forced to break down his tank due to a marrage breakup. ITs all primo and only $10 a kg. ITs all purple (coraline algae), and in good condition. I hope to get about 100kg+ of it. A guy I met in Auckalnd has brought it for me and storing it in his sump till I get up there in a week. If I need more I can get some from Redwood Aquatics in Christchurch. They have some pacific ocean live rock (1 ton). $14kg. But i'll wait and see how this lasts. I 'may' have a friend commming up from Christchurch after easter, so if thats the case I'll have him bring some with him.

Fish. I am not sure. I suspect to have to wait more than a month, possible 2. Because I am using REAL live rock cycle time will be greatly reduced. However i'll start with some hardy corals etc.

There is also a financial issue too. I won't have much money for stock, so my inital fish will be 'cheapies' or maintenance fish. Clowns (percula probably) & a yellow tank will keep me happy til I have a little more $.

Then its just sit back and enjoy. Save for the other bits (calcium reactor, RO/DI unit, computer, refugium etc).

How exciting. Anyone in Wellington who would like to view that tank (and my freshwater too for that matter) is welcome. I live in Ngaio, Wellington.

Pies

Pies,

You are welcome to drop by.... unfortunately I have to move so have forgone my tank rebuild and the marines a bit of a mess.... waiting to break it all down in about 4 weeks... :cry:

Everythings being boxed now, but the tanks will be the last to go so they will be in some shape to view :-?

Give me a call on 833-9300 when you in town.

I'd love your opinion on my big tropical, I haven't seen one done the same way before so you should get a surprise..... :wink:

I still have snails and bristleworms, and everythings still alive but I have a major bubble algae problem, I have been reading that crabs will sort it out but will have to wait until I move and I'll scrub everything when it goes back into tank.....

peety

Thats a real shame about your tank.

I've had some setbacks too, including a LEAK! ARghhhhhh. The problem with having holes drilled into the bottom of the tank I guess... Anyway hope its fixed now...

Algae. I think this is the tuff one for a lot of people. Algae feeds on nutriants in the water. So you need to export them out. I think a planted refugium is the way to go, but calurpa in the main tank will work as well. Also if you are puttting in fresh water to 'top up' don't use tap water. tap water is BAD and the cause of many algae issues. RO/DI is the answer here.

Are you skimming?

Also higher water flow means less algae, so wack a BIG return pump on the sump if you use one, or put in the biggest closed loop you can afford (I am going to use 3 closed loops, over 5000ltr hr circulation.

If I can find the time I would love to come over....

Cheers gotta go back to work :/

Mark

I agree that it is probably water volume turnover i.e my pump is too small. The sump has virtually no problems even tho it has rock and same water... I think the main tank has too little circulation.... o well, ya live, ya learn :wink: