Tank Upgrade...

lduncan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Layton is pretty spot on.

The fact is that Steve is a real rogue. He does not have any business acme or any business ethics.

Some shops refuse to deal with him and a few more soon. He is not a Deltec /tunze agent and has a real cheek to offer tunze/deltec to shops at twice the price.

deltec/Tunze will not honour any warranties from rogue traders.

OK I think that's enough of that in this thread.

I'm having some problems tracking down a supplier of thick plywood. I'm looking for at least 25mm thick, also is there anyone who deals in sizes larger than the standard 2.4 x 1.2m sheets in ChCh?

It would be nice to have the base (2m x 1.6m) as a single piece.

Anyone know of plywood suppliers other than Bunnings, Placemakers, and Mitre 10 mega?

Layton

I'm having some problems tracking down a supplier of thick plywood. I'm looking for at least 25mm thick, also is there anyone who deals in sizes larger than the standard 2.4 x 1.2m sheets in ChCh?

It would be nice to have the base (2m x 1.6m) as a single piece.

Anyone know of plywood suppliers other than Bunnings, Placemakers, and Mitre 10 mega?

Layton

You could try electra (smiths commercial) or builders hardware, i will try them on tuesday for you.

You could use a double thickness of say 12mm ish, cut the base into three bits and then put the top on in two bits, so you have a nice big over lap.

You should be able to get these sheets at about 45 +gst.

By the way, that glass price was the best one.

And glasstec can't get 12mm low Fe.

By the way, that glass price was the best one.

And glasstec can't get 12mm low Fe.

Thanks, yeah, I guessed that the all glass was going to be way too expensive. I might ask around the net about lamination and why type is best for tanks. I really would like low iron, so laminating 2 8mm or 10mm sheet might be the only option for that.

Layton

Thanks, yeah, I guessed that the all glass was going to be way too expensive. I might ask around the net about lamination and why type is best for tanks. I really would like low iron, so laminating 2 8mm or 10mm sheet might be the only option for that.

Layton

I have found that when you get sheets laminated (pilk) they have not been lined up to well, i wouldn't make a tank out of laminated glass, but if this is just for a front panel then it should be sweet.

Layton

Do you lose any clarity with the lamination?

Do you lose any clarity with the lamination?

Well put it this way, you wouldn't notice the difference between a 20mm panel and 2 laminated 10mm. It won't end up looking like normal float glass after lamination.

Here is 3 15mm opticlear panels laminated together:

glass_mount.jpg

There are potential problems with lamination though:

laminate.jpg

This is apparently because a 0.75mm laminate was used instead of 1.2mm.

Layton

Good idea! I love going through the saltwater thread because I just love the tanks you folks keep and it amazes me all the "high" tech stuff you talk about...I think you are all scientists :P

And please, don't take this the wrong way...but...geesh, you folks are hard on one another!

consider it to be an extension of their...err...Manhood

Congratulations for stating that...not every man would :bounce: :bounce:

I was kinda scared to say anything, didn't want to upset anyone...but I do find you folks hard on one another. I haven't been into this hobby very long, but I believe it's like most things in life...everybody has a different opinion...and everybody is entitled to their own!! Doesn't necessarily mean it's right, doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong! An opinion is just that "an opinion"!

But as long as I haven't offended anybody because that certainly wasn't my intention...just my opinion :oops:

Sometimes people confuse fact for opinion, and vice versa.

Anyway, i've been exploring the Royal Exclusiv website a bit more. This company is awsome, their aquarium constructions are top notch. Check this out:

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en ... uage_tools

They were called in to rebuild an 15,000L aquarium after the 40mm glass panels exploded!

Crazy!

Layton

Personally, I think if someone has acvheived to get an agency, then they should have the right to sell that particular product.

Reef has the Deltec brand and Deltec ha sChosen him to be the genuine agent supply proper warranties etc.

I could impoort my own streams and skimmers from the same manufacturers within a day or so, but because I own and run a couple of businesses, I just wouldnt do that.

If you undercut or parallel import whilst knowing you are directly in the same nicvhe market as another you are simply an a**hole.