Native tank

PETEYPLECO

Try going for a drive out thru Maretai way and checking the small steams out that way.

Look for ones coming thru native bushareas.

Years ago the Fresh water Native Fish Club use to fish there often.

Down our way (BoP) we have what is reputed to be the most species found in one water way.

Just north of Matata.

Alan 104

No it isn't illegal.

Remember to ask before going on to someones property.

If you are night fishing, it's manners to check with the owner during the day time.

Just don't catch the young (whitebait) out of season.

Highly ILLEGAL.

Be a good conservationist and only remove the young teenagers not the adults.

Handle as little as possible and have furason in the catch bag.

Helps prevents maladies, especially whitespot that they are very prone to get.

Alan 104

the main species is Galaxiids i think??

i was in the coromandel a few weeks ago. I snorkled up a few rivers. it was amazing!. the rivers are packed with 2 or 3 kinds of galaxiids(yellow, orange,blue. and they all have mottles like discus! you now they shinny lines, =p) thier about 10cms long. Theres mostly just rocks and bog wood on the bottom.

about 20 foot down there were fish about 15-25cm big they were in a cave.

there were baby eels too.

oh yeah and there were some fish that schooled about 3 foot from the surface they looked a bit like rainbows.

and the fish on the bottom (the main ones) had there eggs stored on the foreheads!! :x

it looked so wierd. i thought they layed them under stones.

the fish look a tinny bit like the salt water triple fins that we have in nz.

im lookin at doing native freshwater and saltwater tanks =\

i dont think youll need a heater. but good water flow. with good water flow

the stream i think was called Little Anne.

Well my kokopu lives happyly in im geussing nuetral to slightly acid water, water temp cold but can reach no heigher than 20-22. MY one is in a large plastic drum under a tree, in the spring when hes or she is at breeding size im going to take him back to the breeder where he will use the kokopu for breeding.

Hi Peteypleco,

As far as collecting fishes on the shore, i saw some in Jansens the other week...

No seriously, when i was at Long Bay yesterday there were heaps of what looked like Inanga in the stream there. It was low tide and they were in the shallow water right on the beach... Actually, they could have been Smelt now i look at that link again. No, Inanga maybe... :lol:

Just today I discovered a bully in my pond,not sure wat species. I remember catching them from a river when i was younger and putting them in my outdoor pond, 10 years ago. I had never considered there to be any left but i found one today as I am moving house and moving my fish. I hav never feed this fish it has lived in an outdoor pond with several goldfish all its life. Very hardy and easy to keep. Hard to catch if i remember correctly :lol: