African interior design

hevalump

My tank which i have recently converted to african is looking a bit boring. Base is aragonite, with 4-5 caves and the standard rock wall backing paper. Im looking for some ideas to make is a little more interesting to look at while still keeping to a african friendly enviroment. Is it worth while putting any type of plants or would they just be up rooted and/or eaten. Any one out there with a attractive african display tank got any ideas or pics?

Here's a pic of my new Tanganyikan tank (Haven't managed to get hold of a "rock" backing yet - Hopefully when I go up north in 2 weeks!)

untitled.jpg

re plants: I've heard that it is safe to add plants to a cichlid tank if you add them before the fish - that way when the fish arrive, they think that the plants are part of their territory and don't pull them apart. Of course this won't work for bigger fish that like to dig pits etc in the gravel but I've had no problems (With Julidochromis - of course they are pretty small and calm!) but I've been told it works really well for Malawi's too :)

I've just used Java fern as it doesn't mind hard water and it can't be eaten easly! But you could also go for something like valis - it likes hard water too and even comes from africa!

Good luck!

Awesum tank fishy_t. How many litres is your tank? Also what sort of rocks have you used and where did you source them? Ive got the common flat light grey ones found in most shops but yours do look more natural. Im thinking of also going for the black background, as a little research on overseas sites and i have found they do make the tanks look deeper (as in deep dark lake) and seem to make colours on fish appear richer. Also has anyone found a good "blue" light. Ive heard that if you switch the lights this also brings our the colour. (Phew)

Thanks Jody! :)

I found the right background!! Can you believe it - out of all the shops in Wellington the people who had it were my local (in Upper Hutt!) So here's the final tank:

th_untitled1.jpg

About being a dark background - That would look awesome! The one I found is actually quite dark but I think its just cause I keep the light positioned near the front of the tank - give the same 3d affect though!

I got my rocks down on the south coast but that won't help you in Auckland! Are there any quarries near you? You'll need to find some that won't disintegrate in water so if you're not sure I'd stick them in a bucket for a week and see if they get soft! (Be careful if you get them from the coast cause you might get some un-wanted chemicals/minerals leaching into the water - I sort of knew what I was doing cause I did a Geology paper last year!) Slate and Schist (Alpine type rock) from the south island look great but they aren't cheap (You could get them from a garden centre/landscaping place)

Also my tank is about 250l - in it I've got 5 Julidochromis marlieri, 3 Lamp. leleupi and also 3 Neolamp. pulchers (which look like Neolamp. brichardi) which will be in there within the next few days (On there way down from Auckland!) So it’s a great wee community and they all get along well!

Hope that helps??!! :-?