Parrot Chiclids

LYNDYLOO

Anthony: I thought they looked quite cute :(:(:(

So not a very good choice then, been offered 2 for $30.

Sharn : So you saying they got these two fish, a Severum and a Red Devil put them toghther and they came out with the Parrot Chiclid.

Best I have along hard think about it then. :-? :-? :-?

Lynda

They are a hybrid bred in Asia but no hard info. has been released about what was crossed. But i'm sure there was a severum in there somewhere. And yes they are infertile. I had a few at one time and their eggs never hatched. They behave like your usual cichlids.. fairly aggressive and territorial.

I've read that they have released parrot fish that have been artificially dyed so that you get green ones and purple ones etc.. very distasteful!

if you have a cichlid tank with fish that will tolerate/stand up to them get them if you like them (like a SA tank, not a lakes tank). would go with something like a Oscar (that allowed tank mates lol), maybe a nice JD etc... i think their faces are quite cute! its really up to you as you have to feed them, look after them etc, you dont want to own some fish you hate the look of!

big parrots can sell for like 50 each at some places, the average medium/small sized ones go for about 20 each. what setup would you put it into (what fish?)

Apparently the specific mix of fish in a parrot are a closely guarded secret of the people who produce them - Personally I don't think there is any need to produce fish like Parrots as there are so many fish in the natural world that are far more beautiful and interesting but if you like them you like them! There is a really good article (I think) about them which I have stuck a link to but here is snip bit to get you interested!:

"My dealer has some without tails. What are these?

These are called Heart parrots, on account of their heart-shaped body. They completely lack a tail and just have an inward stump at the rear end. "

---- Should we be encouraging the development of fish like this buy purchasing even the basic form of them???!!!

Anyway - make up your own mind and the site does also tell you how to look after them best!

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=331