Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What algae eater to get?

Featured Replies

Thats the same as what happened to me just a couple of days ago

I got a new red tailed shark (thanks mystic) and my golden algae eater was not happy and was fighting him, Then when the shark finally found a hiding place the algae eater continued to chase any other fish that came near

They seem okay now, The shark can be with the algae eater and they appear to just play rather then fight

Thats the same as what happened to me just a couple of days ago

I got a new red tailed shark (thanks mystic) and my golden algae eater was not happy and was fighting him, Then when the shark finally found a hiding place the algae eater continued to chase any other fish that came near

They seem okay now, The shark can be with the algae eater and they appear to just play rather then fight

Hi starlyte,

When i put my red tailed shark in with the flying foxes, they didn't get along at all. William (RTS) started chasing them alot and they never settled, and my tank is 4 ft with lots of hiding places. I am pretty sure because they have a simliar body shape Wil sees them more as a threat. I read it on the net so it might be true :lol:

Anyway now William has his own tank...

Im going to keep an eye on them... After reading up about the CAE im not overly keen on keeping it!

Once my true siamese algae eaters turn up i might get rid of the CAE - By then my bristlenoses will be a bit bigger

Im going to keep an eye on them... After reading up about the CAE im not overly keen on keeping it!

Once my true siamese algae eaters turn up i might get rid of the CAE - By then my bristlenoses will be a bit bigger

heh, its actually worse than you think.

CAE are most aggressive to similar species. You can't get much more similar than an SAE. :)

I would recommend Otos and BNs as algae eaters. :)

Re the CAE/SAE: we used to have one (not sure what it was now but I think a SAE) by itself and it was quite aggressive sometimes but not harmful. Luckily it only aggroed our biggest male Gourami every now and then, who was able to stick up for himself though, so it was ok. The other fishes didn't have a problem with the SAE but that's probably because the Gourami was the boss in that tank :lol:

  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting reading as now I know that I have exactly the same fish as you Evinkinevil. I like him, he isn't too aggressive just a bit feisty at times when anyone gets close and he is fun to watch he likes to dig in the stones.

I also have a golden CAE and a bristlenose in my other tank ( a four foot ) and they get along okay, they mostly leave each other alone and the bristlenose usually ends up with the spirulina disc.

The golden CAE only chases other yellow fish, especially my golden rams, but it is only brief and I guess the tank is big enough for them to have their own space most of the time.

I don't have a problem with either of mine and the first guy "whistle" lives in a small 60 litre tank with neons and a siamese fighter and no probs really. He often steels the show from the fighter with his stone digging antics actually! :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.