I.D. me

ghostface

whats this green fern-type muck?

yoinks.jpg

was on coral when i got it, i think my tang eats it, as it seems to come and go. it isnt on any of the other corals/rock i got from the same guy's tank....

shall i incinerate it?

or is there a way to treat this if needed. i can set up a quarantine tank if i absolutely have to....

Looks like Briopsis

bryopsis is more stringy and finer. looks more like caleurpa. in fact, i have a few pieces of this in my refugium. if it were me, i'd take the whole rock out. last thing you want is a break out of the stuff in your display. i have some caleurpa in my fuge of which it's 'spores' are finely ingrained into holes in the rock. its near impossible to clean a rock fully of it.

Buy a blue tang, that'll get rid of it! :lol:

I had a rock covered in this stuff (looked quite effective actually) which my clarkii's used to sleep in (as it was right next to their anenome) but as soon as I got my blue tang and flame angel it's pretty much disappeared....actually come to think of it, anything that looked remotely like algae (including my hydnophora :evil: ) has disappeared.

Personally I don't like it because it puts other crap into the water, my gut feeling is that it's not particularly effective ore efficient at removing nitrate or phosphate in any significant quantity.

There are heaps of other ways of dealing to nitrate/phosphate which don't involve adding even more toxic stuff to the tank.

Layton

Ok fair point may have to look into this a bit more before i decide to leave it be but i do know that it collects crud in the evil sandbed it sits in. Hell i may have to call my tank the evil empire and call the batfish Dr Evil :lol:

Dave

bryopsis is more stringy and finer. looks more like caleurpa. in fact, i have a few pieces of this in my refugium. if it were me, i'd take the whole rock out. last thing you want is a break out of the stuff in your display. i have some caleurpa in my fuge of which it's 'spores' are finely ingrained into holes in the rock. its near impossible to clean a rock fully of it.

Look at the size of it compared to the egg crate....Briopsis I reckon. Too small for Caulerpa.

If the rock is in QT, to get rid of the last bits in the rock pores, use boiling water carefully applied to affected area. However if this cannot be done without hurting the coral, get some of that algae rid they use for fresh water tanks. Remove the coral, and drip the algae rid straight on to the affected areas, trying not to get it onto the coral. Leave out of water for 1/2 hour. Put in a bucket of tank water for 2 hours. Then rinse several times in fresh tank water and return to QT. Don't put back in main for several days, you don't want any algae rid in there.

Cheers wasp. ill do both boiling water & algae rid methinks. have added vodka & a little bit of LR to the QT [for the bacteria to live on - is this necessary?] the stuff is only growing on the outside of the coral, so i think it will be possible to treat without killing the whole thing.

no evidence of the kole tang eating it, just assuming this is the case as it has disappeared a couple of times.