CO2 tank question.

lorenceo

Some time ago, there was a thread where you could buy a 7kg CO2 tank to keep, and get it refilled from the same place in Auckland.

see thread here.

I will be doing this for my new tank, and I want the tank to go under the stand, so I need to know how high they are. From bottom of the tank to the top of the valve.

Thanks people. :)

That cant be right.

Just reading another forum, and someone said that liquid co2 getting into the regulator is a bad thing.

Presumably he meant it would stuff up the regulator.

Do you know if they do bottles without the pipe inside? I'd rather not ruin a regulator I'm buying from overseas.

See that thread here Post no. 19.

No.. end of tank dump is because when there is no liquid co2 in the tank to keep the pressure up by it evaportaing into co2 gas, the regulater goes funky and lets more gas out.

This is because they are designed to keep a stable rate when the gas is at a high pressure, but when it drops, the regulator doesn't function properly and lets the gas out.

To stop this from happening, when your tank pressure starts to drop, get it refilled straight away.

All taken from that thread.

If there was liquid co2 in your regulator, there would be liquid co2 comming out from it, evaporating in the tube on the way to the reactor/diffusor/calcium reactor because of the loss in pressure.

I asked my contact in OZ about it, And he said that it requires gas, not liquid co2. He also said that when he removes his regulator to get his tank refilled, some gas comes out from where the tank and regulator connect.

Anyway, When I get the tank I will ask that there be no tube in it. They refabricate old co2 tanks, so presumably they can remove the pipe inside if there is one.

I know the height of the regulator from the top of its connection to the tank to the top of the gagues, Warren, If you dont mind could you please measure how high the tank is to the top of the part where the reg fits on.

Appreciate it man. When I get this all set up I will be sure to post pics. :bow:

I would doubt that BOC would remove the dip tube. The cylinder should be upright. It is not designed to be on its side. The regulator is designed to handle gas and will not handle liquid. As the liquid evaporates it can cause freezing because of latent heat of evaporation and also the conversion of liguid to gas can cause excessive pressure in locations not designed for it. I would suggest you find a way to use the cylinder in the upright position.

I've spent a while checking info about CO2 and regulators etc. It appears the original info I posted had the details backwards. I've edited the posts to stop anyone getting confussed.

The bottom line is still correct though as confirmed by alanmin4304, the cylinder must be upright. Refer to the last posts from alanmin4304 and lorenceo for the correct description of how a CO2 system works.

The reg is comming from Australia, They use the same co2 tank fittings as us.

The last time I assumed Australia used the same fittings as NZ I ended up having to make an adapter. I have no idea if CO2 fittings are the same. Anyone else able to help?

Its my understanding that both OZ and NZ both use the British CO2 gas connection fittings, as opposed to the US which uses their own CGA 320 fitting which is incompatible with anywhere else... I had a good link for distinguishing the two, if I can dredge it up, I'll post it.

The tank will be upright. It is going to be strapped to the inside of the stand to make sure it doesnt fall over.

And because of this, I need to know the height of it, and the height to the top of the part where the regulator attaches too, the regulator adds height as well. I know how high the regulator is.

If its 672mm from top to bottom, the tank itself will fit into my stand, but a tank without the regulator on it isn't much use :wink:

If there is a tube in it making the liquid co2 at the bottom exit through the top valve, It will ruin the regulator, correct? That is why I dont want this.

Here is a diagram showing what I'm trying to explain. Pieces seem to be missing because of the resizing thing on the forum. See origional here.

co2tankandreg.jpg

I need the red measurement marked with the ?.

I'm pretty sure of that also DubbieBoy, Apparantly its the same in Europe too. Its just the Americans having to be different.

Thanks all.