using scoria for live rock

LionOfZion

Years ago when I had a different tank about 1/2 the rock in it was scoria with no ill effects. I took it from the sea so it was already cured. However it did not perform the same filtration as coral rock, when I replaced it with coral rock my 'trites etc improved a lot.

If you're buying, best place to get it is a quarry, or some place they sell it by the trailer load, way cheaper. Look in the phone book under gardening/landscaping/soil type places, ring around, you'll find some.

Edit - Been thinking, scoria from a quarry may leach. The rock I got was from the sea, and been there since Rangitoto blew up around 700 years ago. That would mean that much of the leachable stuff would have already leached, whereas "virgin" scoria that has not been exposed to the sea may be loaded with metals etc that could leach.

Yeah Ive been giving it abit more thought, and I think I will start with rocks colelcted from the sea side to get the tank 'living', and then start to replace the rocks with better more porous alternatives later (piece by piece over a period of time).

Does anyone know if the sand on beaches would be a high in microbial life ? , or would the turbulance of waves keep the levels quite low.