Waaaaaaah - My New Fluval 404 turned up today

Tanksman

I only use fluvals and have not had any problems with them at all.

Like Ira said just give a little shake to dislodge some of the air trapped in it. You can always suck on the outlet pipe to get the water going like what Snowman does with his eheims.

I find that so long as the syphon is still in the inlet pipe, and I drain the outlet pipe before connecting it back up (Just open the valve a bit into the top of the empty, open filter before putting the lid on) that once its connected up the syphon will fill the filter entirely and the outlet hose all the way up to the tank given about 1 min to do its thing, no sucking on mankey outlet hoses needed ;)

If the syphon has broken because I took the inlet pipe out of the water then it starts easy enough with a few pumps of the primer, so long as the return pipe is empty - that seems to be the key to it working well.

I find that so long as the syphon is still in the inlet pipe, and I drain the outlet pipe before connecting it back up (Just open the valve a bit into the top of the empty, open filter before putting the lid on) that once its connected up the syphon will fill the filter entirely and the outlet hose all the way up to the tank given about 1 min to do its thing, no sucking on mankey outlet hoses needed ;)

If the syphon has broken because I took the inlet pipe out of the water then it starts easy enough with a few pumps of the primer, so long as the return pipe is empty - that seems to be the key to it working well.

So are you trying to tell me this pump will go with missing parts or what?

The filters are not well designed anyway - It is still a lottery wether or not the water will actually ALL pass through the filter media anyway. They should be designed so that the inlet water is taken through a sealed compartment right to the bottom of the filter and then passed through the media baskets to the pump. No amount of water should be able to be pumped back to the aquarium without contact with the media - what a waste of pump power that is - like it is with the current designs. And it certainly doesn't need a primer - just another hassle waiting to happen.

So are you trying to tell me this pump will go with missing parts or what?

No, I was answering the complaints about the primer and having to suck on the outlet hose. I cant think of anything grosser then that myself.

The filters are not well designed anyway - It is still a lottery wether or not the water will actually ALL pass through the filter media anyway. They should be designed so that the inlet water is taken through a sealed compartment right to the bottom of the filter and then passed through the media baskets to the pump. No amount of water should be able to be pumped back to the aquarium without contact with the media - what a waste of pump power that is - like it is with the current designs. And it certainly doesn't need a primer - just another hassle waiting to happen.

The primer is one of the best features on the filter in my opinion. The only way I can see that the water would bypass the sponge and media trays is if there was a gap between the media trays, and they fit together very tightly. The gap at the top between the impeller area and the inlet may need a slightly better seal, but I always see a slime mark across it when I open it where it has loads where the intake is exposed and none where the outlet is, and if any was bypassing it there it would soon stop with the slime, infact when I had the media choke up totally in a period of neglect the water flow did stop, it wouldnt do that if it was bypassing at the top.

I always see a slime mark across it when I open it where it has loads where the intake is exposed and none where the outlet is, and if any was bypassing it there it would soon stop with the slime, infact when I had the media choke up totally in a period of neglect the water flow did stop, it wouldnt do that if it was bypassing at the top.

Well having the hoses clog up with slime preventing flow is one thing - however just because you can see slime doesn't mean it's not leaking water through the gap or else how do the hoses get clogged with it. It seems to be based on Faith that the water won't bypass the trays - I prefer science.

It seems that some people like Fluval and some don't - I just wish I had found more comments from the people who don't before I decided it was a good filter to get. I am guilty of buying this based on it's reputation as opposed to it's quality - which it isn't

• 3 months later...

Sorry for your bad luck there, man am i glad i read this. had asked my lfs today what external filter they'd recommend me and she said the fluval. they were of course on special tho. i will check out the jebo adn others now since a few of you seem to swear by them. i did notice though that they themselves use the fluval. That has to say something.