Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Filters

Featured Replies

I just wondered if anyone had a suggestion re: an appropriate fileter for my goldfish tank. Its 150l and has 8 little monsters in it. Our current filtration from the smaller tank doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard. We have a Shark A600 + a small external filter (can't remember specs) which were sufficient filtration before we moved into the big tank - we had less fish then too. So yeah, any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance, Alex

You will find opinions vary as to what make of filter is better, personally i like the idea of an external and internal filter, good for water movement and better when you do a filter clean as you only do one at a time which means less disruption to bacteria levels, i clean my internal every week to maintain water flow and my cannister about every 2 months, when i clean the external i skip cleaning the internal so there is still plenty of bacteria to keep water parameters in check.

Personally i would use an Eheim 2213 external and a 2008 internal filter.

I use 6 Eheim filters and have never had a problem with any of them, not the cheapest but the best in my opinion.

The bigger the better Alex. Goldfish are very messy. 150L is not much for 8 fish. OK if they are small but they will grow.

I would get an external canister filter, as big as you can afford.

Undergravels are no good with goldfish as they like to dig. Other filters clog too quickly.

The external 2213 has been on Trade Me new for $150 and the 2008 has been on for $47.75

Yep $200 but no water quality problems so well worth it.

  • Author

I know we are going to have to upgadre again when the fish get bigger (another excuse to get another tank! yippee) but for the moment they are still pretty small and all have lots of swimming room. I was thinking thatI was going to have to go down the external cannister route, into the "serious" filters. I guess I am off the LFS to investigate. Thanks for all your help..I have a clearer idea of what I am looking for now :) Alex

Fluval filters are pretty good too, and alot cheaper, some people have had success with the even cheaper brands but you take your chances I guess. Some of them really are rubbish. If you can afford it a really suggest you get two filters (I prefer both external) as snowman suggested.

I have an Eheim wet/dry, 2 Fluval 404s and 2 Jebo 819s (plus assorted internal canisters, UGFs and box filters). I wouldn't touch another Eheim wet/dry with a 10 foot barge pole, the Fluvals are a nuisance to clean and restart and we love the Jebos. Have had them approx 12 months and haven't had to clean them yet. Both are still pumping water at a good rate, unlike the Fluvals which need cleaning often as they clog.

Pity your not in Auckland as a couple of shops have the Eheim classics on special a 2217 for $283

(Below taken from the eheim website)

for tank size up to 600l

Pump output 1000l/h

Filter circulation 790l/h

Delivery head 2,10 m Ws

Filter volume 6l

Power consumption 20 W

Dimensions approx. mm 205 x 400

I've been tempted to grab a couple but got to pay for Xmas first LOL

I know tankgirl3 on Trade Me can do very good prices on Eheim external and other filters, and PetPlanet is the cheapest on-line store around for Eheim internal filters, just depends on cost getting them down to you.

I haven't heard good things about the wet/dry Eheims thats why i stick to the tried and trusted classic range (and they are heaps cheaper than the professional range)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.