Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Measuring Salinity

Featured Replies

A sharing...from a newbie!

I have been quite happily mixing my SW and doing other such stuff using a swing arm type hydrometer. I wasn't happy with the 'non-performance' of some of my introduced livestock so bought another swing-arm to check against the first - it read 0.005 different! (higher).

'Checking' with a floating hydrometer gave a (recalibrated) measure in between! Eeeek!

Time to go down to our local SW shop and get them to test with their refractomter. It said my SW was 0.004 higher than what I was aiming for.

So over the last couple of days I have been gradually diluting my tank down aiming for a 'real' 1.024. (0.001 a day)

I am hoping it will stop the fishies blinking so much. :oops:

Another lesson for a newbie...don't believe anything...

  • Author

Yup - agreed. :)

Do you know how many swing arms are getting used every day? I guess my conclusion would be that if we are going to 'rely' on a swing arm or similar get it benchmarked with something like a refractrometer and get it checked regularly (I'm making a case for how 'cheap' refractromters end up being aren't I?!!!?)

Salinity is a big fundamental to get wrong...and perhaps keep getting wrong...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.