fishroom in the laundry room

shiuh

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have decided to clear up another unoccupied space and putting more tanks on the other sides of sinks. thus updated my plans a bit.

heres the updated plan.

plan2.jpg

and the 3D views. hopefull it will turn up to be something like this. just ignore the highly reflected floor and surfaces. :wink:

top.jpg

render4.jpg

a very neat tank made by alanmin4304. the tank is 3 foot long with 4 partitions. each partitional space has a 20mm hole on top where the fittings comes in. this is going to be one of my testing tank. if this works i will be doing more of these. Special thanks to alanmin4304 for showing me how to make a tank.

tank.jpg

the fittings. you can easily get these from a irragation hardware store.

bulkheads.jpg

final assembled. this is going to be the outlet pipe that water overflows and drains out to the sink. with these pipes coming out i would not have to carry my buckets around no more!! :wink:

pipe.jpg

Will your dryer being right up next to the tank be a problem at all with temp fluctutations? Perhaps the ?window? next to it takes care of that...

Anyways, great set up! Most of us end up cramming stuff around other stuff. Your setup is is great...

If only my other half would understand.

PS: Also interested in the cost....

Will your dryer being right up next to the tank be a problem at all with temp fluctutations? Perhaps the ?window? next to it takes care of that...

Anyways, great set up! Most of us end up cramming stuff around other stuff. Your setup is is great...

If only my other half would understand.

PS: Also interested in the cost....

:lol: please consult with your other half before proceeding. i do not held responsibility against any damage done in the house. i have decided to heat up the whole room.

cost

3 foot tank with 4 holes drill $50

bulkheads fittings $19

-----------------------------------------

total cost $69

so far so good. i would presume the cost would go up as the fittings are not as cheap. but its is a lot cheaper to do the fittings in PVC.

pictures time again. moderaters gonna get me on this. i hope the pictures doesnt take too long to load. i have tried my best reducing size on them all.

the inline filter coming in. very cheap stuff compared to expensive UV filter which i cant afford, just to filter some big particals in the water.

filer.jpg

a test out system has been carried out on top. you can see the water coming in from the top pipe. and bottom is where the water goes out to the sink.

fishroom.jpg

on top of each tank i have a small tap controling the water dripping speed. thus, water change can be carried out in each tank without effecting the others. the picture says it all, water overflows and goes out the outlet pipe.

waterdrip.jpg

the trial setup. will hold about 23 L in each partitional space,so far so good and the waters are clean.

4waysystem.jpg

Also, you dont really want to use the black irrigation tubing upstream of the valve, or really have the filter upstream either. That irrigation gears not designed for the 800 odd kPa that you will get out of the tap.

Also add hose clamps to the final one, otherwise the hose will work off the barbs. Dont bother with the ratchet ones that are in the irrigation area, get proper ones with the screw

Also, you dont really want to use the black irrigation tubing upstream of the valve, or really have the filter upstream either. That irrigation gears not designed for the 800 odd kPa that you will get out of the tap.

Also add hose clamps to the final one, otherwise the hose will work off the barbs. Dont bother with the ratchet ones that are in the irrigation area, get proper ones with the screw

i am only keeping guppies not marine. as long i can do water change daily and keep the disease out, i think i have succeed. i have nothing to complain about from the system...everything is cheap as and seems to be running well and water is clean as 24hrs. looking to expand these in the future.

Looks good. Any chance of a fish getting stuck in the outlet pipe and the tank overflowing?

i have a mesh covers on the pipe, so no fish can pass thru. i left the pipe open for adult guppies, none went out so far. :wink: hey Alan, i saw your DIY breeding trap tank where you can house several females in one tank the other day. does that trap work well?

It works well. I used to have bigger ones, but that is good for the small numbers I have at the moment. I find you can leave the females in there for some time and it takes a lot of the stress out of moving them when due to give birth and also can feed up the young for a week or so before moving them.

• 3 weeks later...
hi shiuh

hows the setup going?

just wondering how far from the top of your tank is the hole drilled?

also where did you purchase the fittings?

cheers

hi steve,

the setup ceased because i have decided to move back to wellington. :lol: :lol:

the hole is 40mm away from the top. the hole is 22mm and 19mm irragation fittings found easily at mitre 10 Mega. cheers

oh no :( sorry about that. anyway, the test out tank works out really well. i never have to change the water. all i do is turn on the tap and it changes water by it self. with this i do daily water changes about 10%.

one thing i am suffering is the algae growth and leftover food, poos at the bottom. but i got myself some big ramshorns to take care of that. i will be thinking of modifying the setup a bit, may be with some inbuilt undergravel filter and wait and see.

i am on a bit of move lately, just arrived wellington yesterday. got myself an interview today, missed out on a really great job. not my fault anyway, the company did not manage to grab a big project. total bummer, therefore couldnt really get things to settle in at the moment.

but i promise, the fish setup will be back. by the way, do you think you can get away with MTS easily huh? not a chance. :wink:

Um, Ok...I thought the original concept was for a complete water change every 24 hours, by regulating the flow of water into the tank, therefore the overflow out of the tank. Simple, yet brilliant.

Now, we seem to be talking about a 10% water change every day by turning on the tap, in essence like a semi-automated water change system...

I really liked Plan A :lol: so -uhhh- how did we get from there to Plan B??? :o I'm a litle confused there...did Plan A work out OK?

Sorry to hear you missed on the job, I'm on the prowl for a new job myself at the mo, looking sideways at a Greenacres cleaning franchise also. Better luck next time tho!!!

plan A would work too. i can do that easily just by turning the tap on a little, so the tap remain at dripping state. by doing that i will end up with 100% waterchange and may be more!!! i thought plan A it is good at that time, but changing water 24hrs long with no heated water? the thing is, i dont think tropical fish will like that, with water condition fluatuates up and down. and the water is far too clean! haha, may be cold water fish like goldfish or minnow would love it and induce spawning. i personally get away with good clean water 10% daily is enough and thats fine. :)

with this system you can use PLAN A and PLAN B. whichever you like :wink: