Pipes or Water Quality

Jo1

Recently set up a 100 litre hex tank and fish added 11 days ago. Slowly the goldfish have been dying despite water changes etc. Tried Melafix but no help. The fish look really healthy but suddenly drop off. Customer mentioned this morning that the building had been vacant for a while and that he was getting a water filter for the staff as it tasted bad. PH is normal and have been using cycle and also salt. Today I treated with formalin and malachite green which perked the remaining fish up. Two days after the fish were released the water went cloudy and no it definitely was not overfeeding. Any ideas on what I should test for in the water as I have never seen this happen before? Plan to revisit Monday and take water with us.

Hi Jo!

Wow, there's a bit of a puzzle. I can only assume that the water is loaded with a toxin. Filter with charcoal/carbon. Before you do that, do a full spectrum test on the water for EVERYTHING to see what the problem is, exactly. If you don't have a full test kit, LFSes can usually help you out (for a small fee). Good luck and I hope you sort it before it's too late for the remaining fish.

As for the cloudy water, this is usually a typical algae bloom symptom. perhaps the tank is re-cycling?

Only 3 fish left (4 dead). Will check my kit and see if it does copper and definitely taking water from home on Monday. Filter did have carbon until Friday when we removed to treat with formalin and malachite green. Will be replaced Monday providing fish are not showing signs of illness. The tank is still in the process of cycling but we set up heaps of these tanks and have never lost a goldfish in that process before as we visit the tank regularly to do maintenance in that first month. It is really hard to know what the pipes are. The building doesn't look more than around 20 years but as I said the taps hadn't been used for quite some time. Will update Monday night. Oh and Blue, the poly boxes are no problem infact they are mounting up again!

Well visited today and the fish that are left are a lot happier. That formalin/malchite mix did the trick. Took a couple of buckets of cycled water with us and did a water change and will add carbon to filter later in the week. Will keep checking this week as we really want to add extra fish soon.