Very sick Goldfish. tail gone!!

Tsarmina

we have 2 goldfish. a while ago it looked like one (squeek) had had its fine nipped by the other (half a tail gone). a couple of weeks later the second (bubbles) had seemed to have lost half its tail too.

a little over a week ago i noticed that bubbles tail had gone completely and squeeks was unchanged.

i started dosing with melafix last friday, 9-12-05, and when i looked in the tank today i noticed that bubbles is getting worse. you can now see the bone. Squeek has, what looks to be the same thing, at the base of the body, just not as far gone as bubbles.

is there any point in continuing with the melafix treatment, or would it be better to put the fish down? they belong to my stepson.

BUBBLES

Picture070.jpg

SQUEEK

Picture071.jpg

Looks like fin rot, although I am not expert.

More info than you could possibly want:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/finrot.htm

Most likely someone has been overfeeding them and not changing the water enough.

Take note of trying to identify and remove the root causes. (especially if you decide to "upgrade" your fish to ones with tails :lol: )

And of course dead fish make a good life lesson for your step son...

Hi Tsarmina,

Fish look pretty sad.. but where there's life there's hope. :)

Daily salt baths "may" help.

Get some "SEa Salt" from the supermarket.. (blue bag).. and treat the fish in a container of around one gallon (4.5ltrs)

Use one heaped tablespoon of salt to start the first treatment.

Leave the fish in the soloution for around ten to twenty minutes.. and watch for signs of undue stress.

The next day increase the salt slightly.. and repeat the above.

Do this each day for around a week and you will hopefully see some improvement.. plus new fin growth.

What the salt does is it strips the old mucus from the fish and promotes new cell growth.

Hope it goes well.. but no guarantees :)