Big Hello from Kerikeri

Angel

Hey everyone :D I was given the link to these cool as forums this morning and i've just got my confirmation email yay!

Anyway about my aquarium.

Its a 40L one, and I have some random plant things which i'm chucking out cuz they've got snail eggs all over them and I dont want silly snails. I have 8 Inanga (adult whitebait) and stones and other rubbish. I'm wanting to build it up to be all NZ Native wildlife cuz native stuff is real cool.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to other fish I can get which are native and wont eat my Inangas? I notice they eat each other quite happily as yesterday I had 10, but this morning noticed the 2 small ones I had were gone :/

Also, I rinsed all my stones properly yet the water is still all milky and horrible. Ive had fish before and never had this problem. Should I hoist my fish out and start over?

Thanks guys :D I'll take some pics soon - the tank isnt anything exciting yet, although I hope to plant it out with native things, and have sand for a base.. where does one get sand for a tank from by the way? Thanks again

Hiya Angel, saw you in the chat room but we never got a convo going :) NZ native tanks are way cool. About the cloudy water thing. Did you just set up this tank? When tanks first get dechlorinated there's usually an algae bloom which causes cloudiness. Refrain from water changes and it should go away in a few days. Your tank will still probably go through the cycle process and this may damage your fish. If it's an established tank then it could be something else.

Glad to help, just ask!

Hiya Angel, saw you in the chat room but we never got a convo going :) NZ native tanks are way cool. About the cloudy water thing. Did you just set up this tank? When tanks first get dechlorinated there's usually an algae bloom which causes cloudiness. Refrain from water changes and it should go away in a few days. Your tank will still probably go through the cycle process and this may damage your fish. If it's an established tank then it could be something else.

Glad to help, just ask!

Haha yea, I had to go off to work so I didnt get to talk to you. The tank is brand new, but theres no chlorine in the water cuz its bore water, so theres none in it which is a big bonus.. so hopefully the cloudyness will go away.. I posted in the freshwater forum saying that the fish were trying to escape - I found one on the floor when I got home from work a few mins ago, but he's alive thankfully - We cant get Inanga up here, i have to go to Auckland for them.. I've taped up gaps in the glass on the top, so hopefully that will stop the little sods.

They're all really agitated at the moment however, they're a schooling fish and they were quite happy when I left for work at 5, and now they're swimming around and hitting the glass and stuff.. I'll see how they go over the next few hours, and if they're still not happy, i'll hoist them out and put them in a bucket with some rainwater.

Hi Angel,

Welcome to the Fishroom :)

Saw your other post in the Freshwater Section.

You say that your water is cloudy and.... :

They're all really agitated at the moment however, they're a schooling fish and they were quite happy when I left for work at 5, and now they're swimming around and hitting the glass and stuff.. I'll see how they go over the next few hours, and if they're still not happy, i'll hoist them out and put them in a bucket with some rainwater.

Just wondering if your bore water contains a lot of lime making the pH quite high.. but also the fish shouldn't be freaking out like you mention unless there is something wrong with the conditions.. although I'm not too sure how Inangas behave normally.

Would certainly be a good idea to do some water changes, and make sure you don't overfeed, which will cause other probs.

• 1 month later...