Cockatoo Cichlid

simfish

Can anyone tell me a little on this fish based on their personal experience. I would like to put them in my community tank with my baby ble rams, tetra's, bristle, k. loaches and albino cats. Do they always vary in colour and how big do they grow? I have an aquascape setup and therefore would like to know if they chomp on plants...... and finally if they are appropriate, does anyone have some for sale? I have done some research but would prefer having some "FNZAS family advice"....

cheers and thanks

I have an aquascape setup and therefore would like to know

Simfish,

for those of us that have no idea what a aquascape setup is, and probably not likely to,

it would help if a better discription other than, I presume, a trade name is used.

Like what is the size to start with??

Please don't give the literage either, try a tape measure, LxBxH.

Thanks

Alan

NZKA 104

Hiya simfish, as Alan said some more info would help... I can say that from your tankmate descriptions that you probably won't have compatibility issues. They're a dwarf ram and very placid and keep to themselves unless breeding, in general. During breeding you may notice aggression, but this is purely defensive for the eggs and not intended to hurt the other tankmates. You should always watch out for this with any cichlids though, as I had a pair of Blue Rams kill a Cardinal Tetra the other day. Just a bit over-protective, I think.

Cockatoos can grow up to 12cm (this is rare, but my friends grandaddy cockatoo is BIG). My books say that they generally grow 5-7cm like Rams. Colouration is very much like guppies. There are quite a few different colour strains and breeders are developing new ones every day. Haven't noticed any plant chomping as of yet. Breeders - you'll have keep watching this space!

This is my entire 1.2mx400dx600h tank.

Ok, now I know.

It is a aquascaped 4'er, looks good, be good to see photos of it at one month apart to show the growth.

IMO the rams will be fine.

Tetras, what sort have you got, remember the pacu is a member of the tetra family.

You'll have to watch which ones you get don't have a vegie diet tho.

BN ok.

K. loaches??

Take a photo of them before you put them in the tank and leave it glued to the tank, "These fish are in here, I think!!"Albino cate I presume are corydoras, they'll be ok too.

Alan

NZKA 104

Hi you will find cockatoos are fine in your community I used to keep them and bred a few.. The first few bunchs were in a well stocked danios, neon tetras, siamese fighters, Pearl Gouramis firemouths a few catfish etc etc..) community small (60 x 30 x 30cm) tank, and they never hurt a thing..

Im actually get a pair of cockatoo's (orange flash) from a wellington breeder who is driving upto Auckland tomorrow to drop off fish.... He is dropping off 100 odd fish to a few stores tomorrow the two I know of are Jansens in Botony downs and on the north shore (but he may be going to more stores I dont know about) these fish are getting pretty hard to find now when I first had them I was in Palmerston north and could get them relatively easlily and cheaply but that was a while ago... If your really keen to get some and dont have a place to get them from one of the jansens stores in the next few days may be a good start..

I may be able to get an extra pair as stuart is a great guy and very helpful and only willing to help the only problem may be that im in west auckland (Hobsonville) and im judging by the way you mentioned going to jansens botony downs and not north shore your not that close to me..

If I do hold a pair for you it would be very stressful for them to come all the way from upper hutt and then sit in a bag waiting for you.. I could always put them in my tank and catch them again when you arrive but thats alot of stress too, I would hate for the poor fellas or fellesses to die on us after all the effort! Just PM me asap when you know what you want to do Stu's already on the road and will ring me (probably relatively early) when he arrives in Auckland and let me know his plans, I could discus the possibility of getting an extra pair for you then? it also depends on how he has bagged the fish..

How are your fish simfish? I think mine have just laid so hopefully there might be some babies.. Im toying with the idea of removing mum and pot and putting them in a floating fish bowl with a foam filter because ive got a big power filter in the tank to clean up all the other fishes mess and I think it would suck all the babies up...

I've had a male and 2 females for about 2-3 weeks and so far the male has attacked one female leaving it with pop eye and now an infection and the other female has a growth on it forehead but it still looks like he wants to breed. So far treated with salt, Malafix, Aquaflavine and currently Furan 2 for secondy infection. Migth go back to Aquaflavine and salt. These guys are already in the Q tank (3') so no where to split them up. What to do???

They are getting every thing and temp is 27 I think. It just that the male chasers the other female away when he with one and then when hes with the other one the first one get it. Water change last night and put carbon in to clean chems out and found some eggs that had been fungus. This morning one has lost the white fungus out of its head but the one with pop eye still has a lot of white fungus around it. Well do another water change aand treat with salt and Aquaflavine.