KH vs PH

simfish

KH plays a pH buffering role.

A buffer is a substance which resists the change in pH around it's natural pH level.

The higher the KH, the closer the pH will be to 8.3ish, and the more it will resist any change in pH around this value.

Peat is full of weak organic acids which can also act as buffers, but are centered around a lower pH, and will resist changes in pH around a lower pH than what KH does.

Layton

If you care enough about the PH to adjust and test it then you proberly need to worry about the KH as well. For two reasons firstly because KH buffers PH (i.e. keeps it stable) if your KH isn't about right your PH will be forever changing (will even change alot during the course of a day as lights etc can affect it) changing PH is not so go for the fish. Secondly fish types that care about PH levels tend to also like either hard (high KH) or soft (low KH) water as much as they like the high/low PH.

But in general there arn't that many fish that require correct levels of PH/KH to do fine, even discus unless you are trying to breed them are quite happy at normal neutualish levels

Can't really see what difference this makes to aquascaping. Are you concerned about plants that need low PH? I would be surprised if it really make that much difference to them? I would think that correct amounts of neutients, light and CO2, would be far more important.

If you want softer water for say amazon type plants the eaziest way I have found is to use rain water, just adjust the amount (tap vs rain) till it settles down to the softness you want.