Ph is very high....

iisfaq

Ph std test : 7.6

Ph high test : 7.8

Amonia Test : 0ppm

My Ph level is quite high and I am not sure if it is going to be a problem or not for my planted tank. I have 4 discuss (very small), 4 angles (very small) and 20 neons in the tank.

Do you think it is a problem? I read somewhere someone saying that CO2 made there PH crash does that mean mine would reduce to a safe level if I added CO2 which is something I want to do but have not done so at this time?

The tank setup is quite new and the substrate is made up of Daltons Aquotic Mix and Daltons Propgating Sand and some gravel and some Shist.

Substrate_12Nov2005.jpg

This is my tank at the moment.

tank_12Nov2005.jpg

Chris

You have discus and angels in the same tank?

I am trying to... I have heard some people say Angles give Hole in the Head, and others say they have no problems.

Also the book I bought from Amazon has Angles and Disucs in the same tank.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0793804930/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-9683586-0236719#reader-link

The angles although smaller already like to harass the discus. But they appear to be happy and I hope they stay that way.

Chris

Your tank is nicely laid out. Looks a bit cloudy still and will take a while to settle down. Some of your plants look as though they have been growm emersed and will take a while to adjust. I think you have taken a risk putting discus into such a fresh tank but it is done now. I would not add any more fish untill it settles. More plant should be ok. Good luck.

Your tank is nicely laid out. Looks a bit cloudy still and will take a while to settle down. Some of your plants look as though they have been growm emersed and will take a while to adjust. I think you have taken a risk putting discus into such a fresh tank but it is done now. I would not add any more fish untill it settles. More plant should be ok. Good luck.

I know I am bad as I have put too many fish into the tank this early - the Amonia level is currently fine - the fish are all small including Angles and Dicus so their waste should be small compared to normal sized fish.

The tank is 300 Litres.

And yes it is a bit cloudy - not sure how long this will take to clear. As long as I do not overfeed then I am hoping that everything will be OK.

Mantra to me : NO MORE FISH!!!!

Chris

You have probably figured from my previous posts that I think plant is pretty useful in the cycling phase. To work best it needs to be true aquatic (like ambulia) which is mainly feeding off the water, or grown submersed. Emersed plants take longer to adjust to the new conditions before they realy start doing any good. I have bred thousands of angels and have never seen one with hole in the head. It is a parasite and is either there or not.

You have probably figured from my previous posts that I think plant is pretty useful in the cycling phase. To work best it needs to be true aquatic (like ambulia) which is mainly feeding off the water, or grown submersed. Emersed plants take longer to adjust to the new conditions before they realy start doing any good. I have bred thousands of angels and have never seen one with hole in the head. It is a parasite and is either there or not.

Great news - I read an article that was saying that Hole in the Head appears to be only relevant if you have bad water conditions and I am trying to not have that.

Chris

I would't install CO2 or more fish till it settles. CO2 will alter the eqution and make another factor to worry about. I have never used CO2 but I would think for it to be of any use you should have no aeration or you will drive the CO2 out of solution. You would therefore have lower numbers of fish.