Glass - Iron content

Damo

Hi,

Shortly I will be getting the glass cut for my tank. I am aware that glass is available with different iron contents. I think the low iron glass is very much clearer than ordinary glass and doesn't have the slight green appearance. I was wanting to know if I could use this for the front of my tank? Does anyone know if it is as strong? More or less brittle?

Tank is to be 1500(L) x 50(W) x 70(H), glass 10mm.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Damo.

I have made hundreds of tanks from new,imported,second hand,laminated and toughened glass and by the time it is full of water and has grown a bit of algae I don't think you would notice any difference. Get the cheapest. The tank is going to need proper reinforcing because it is a long span and a high head of water. The stand would need to be well built also to distribute the load evenly ( 700Kg / sq M for the water without the rest ) I built one recently that is 1600mm long and 600mm high but it was for turtles and is only half full of water.

Thanks for your replies. I have done everything the best I can so far with this tank and have gone to some extra-ordinary measures so far so I'd like to use the clearest possible glass. The cost doesn't really concern me either. Another $100 or so wouldn't add a huge percentage to the total bill. I might see if people like Glasstech have the specs on such glass concerning the strength and durability.

Cheers,

Damo.

was wanting to know if I could use this for the front of my tank? Does anyone know if it is as strong? More or less brittle?

If you get low iron glass then you should get the sides done otherwise not really worth it as the green will transfer to the front glass,

Low iron glass does scratch easier than normal glass; also it is not as strong but will do for an aquarium

'

Thanks for the info. I'm getting very keen now and will do the sides and front. Back is going to be painted so I'll think about that. The scratching hopefully wont be an issue, I don't expect it'll get scratched at all.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Low iron glass is called starphire glass.

It will have a more blue tinge than green. I have never found it to scratch any easier than normal clear float, though it will scratch more easily once toughened.

I wouldn't recommend polishing the edges as this gives a weaker joint than clean cut.

Here in Aus we pay (wholesale) around $54 a sq m for 10mm clear float cut to size. Starphire is around $120 a sq m cts. Polishing we charge $3 per linear metre.