Start of Helifax's Tank (lots of pictures)

HelifaxNZ

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you see your frags there Sharkey?

Yep only wish I could get them to look that good :D

Shows the value of solid research before starting.

Very true Thats something that Helifax has always shown not only with his corals but his livestock. And it shows. Excellent tank

Oh and I will be buying another table leg to help support the tank because I'm sure the end is not going to hold sand, water, and rocks!

Hi

Im on page one, so sorry if this is covered later but i thought i would mention it cos i will forget by the time ive read the whole thread ! I had a relatively small tank like yours on a similar set up with two legs at the end of the desk. The damn thing still bowed the benchtop ! I would run a false back to run underneath the same line as the back of your top tank and a couple of legs underneath or as near to the two front corners of the tank (taking into account access to the sump. Just a thought.

Thanks guys for your kind words. Couldn't have done it without all your help and frags! :hail:

I've still got heaps to learn though.

I haven't got a macro lens for my new camera so am still using the old one for macro shots (Olympus C960). Still produces really good photos. AND these photos were not Photoshop'ed.

Pomereef, I have under the table on the left of the tank a filing cabinet which is holding majority of the weight.

I'll try take more shots of the fish and other corals and post them up. I have moved some corals around to accommodate the Brain, I'm hoping its not going to grow too big.

I also need some more live rock to build up a bit more to give more depth, so I'll have to take a visit to Jetskisteve :D

Cheers and thanks to you all :bow::D

• 6 months later...

I haven't updated this thread for a while. Here's the latest...

Well last month I finally upgraded my Sump to a bigger one and just this month upgraded my protein skimmer to a Euro-Reef. It's still breaking in, but starting to pull out a bit of gunk. These pics are straight after I upgraded.

P1010022.jpg

The white filter is there just to stop the fine mist when the water goes into the sump and bubbles pop!

P1010021.jpg

I had to do a bit of manoeuvring to get the skimmer in, and I also had to redo the overflow pipes so I can fit the skimmer. But the good news is that it is much quieter.

P1010008.jpg

Then had to get a plastic box in the sump which couldn't quite fit by only 3mm!!!!! :evil: So had to do some creative cutting and finally got it in. I needed this to prop up the skimmer otherwise the water level would be too high. You can just see the black box in the picture.

Here's some pics of the skimmer:

P1010011.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010014.jpg

I made the mistake of going into HFF last weekend. Came out with an empty pocket of money :( and a bag of goodies :D . Pictures to come, but now have a nice large Yellow Leather, medium/large orange mushrooms (couldn't miss this opportunity!), and a Gainford Goby. The mushrooms cost the most at a premium of $110!!!! I hope my wife doesn't see this thread :oops: ) I now need to pluck up the courage to slice and dice the mushrooms and spread it around the tank. That should make it worth while :wink: