Start of Helifax's Tank (lots of pictures)

HelifaxNZ

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that these attack livestock? I thought that they were assumed to be bad as they have been seen eating dead fish(and thought to be the cause) - but I thought that they were purely scavengers.

When I get my tank I want as many animals as I can get. Those worms are cool!

Wouldn't get to worried, it will be gone in a few days :D

If you caught a few of those rock pool shrimps & put them in, they'd polish it off for you.

That's assuming it's actually dead! Maybe they grow a new head. Somebody else may know.

Im not too sure on bristleworms, but I would hazzard a geuss that decapitation will very likely kill it.

-Just did a bit of a research - the head may grow a new tail (but unlikely), but the tail won't grow a new head. So as long as you got the right end your definately fine, and even if you didnt, your most likely fine.

:D

Out of 8000 species and none specifically attack vertabrates unless they are very large, and only a small group attack inverts.

It it looks like this then you might wanna do something about it. :o

polychete205.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update before Xmas of my tank.

I have added a few corals to my tank with thanks to all that helped me select them.

Here's a couple of pictures of what my tank looks like:

fronttankshot2.jpg

fronttankshot4.jpg

I'm very happy with the setup, but I do think it looks more 3D looking from the side of the tank and quite 2D from the front. I'll put up a photo soon looking from the side.

Here's some closeups of the corals...

Candy Cane Coral

candycane.jpg

Another type of Candy Cane

caulastrea.jpg

Green Toadstool

greentoadstool.jpg

Hammer Coral

hammercoral.jpg

Horn Coral (Hydnophora)

hydnophora.jpg

Zoanthus - definately wanting more different coloured ones!

zoanthus.jpg

And last of all a White and Brown coloured Xenia.

whiteandbrownxenia.jpg

All have been in the tank between 1-2 weeks.

By the way, the colours have not been touched up.

All I can see is a whole lot of red X's!

However we found out Helifax lives just down the road from me so I went and checked out his tank last night. I was IMPRESSED!

It's very small, but very pretty. The whole thing is designed expertly, with attention to detail everything is right. This is reflected by the good health of all the livestock.

Some people judge a tank purely by how big it is. But in terms of good presentation, healthy livestock, and good design, this small tank get's close to a 10. What's more surprising is this is Helifaxes first attempt.