Start of Helifax's Tank (lots of pictures)

HelifaxNZ

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was something like that.

Yep my tank does have diatoms and it is starting to form on the glass. I'll have to get a magnetic cleaner soon!

Can you guys let me know what the following creatures are...

This definately looks like an anenome. It has tenticles like one, but it is translucent. When I had the MH on it was wide open and now with the blue lights it has closed. Is this a safe one to keep?

anenome.jpg

The next looks like a polyp.

polyp.jpg

Thanks in advanced.

P.S. does anyone know where I can get some turbo snails (for the diatoms)?

Not quite sure but that top pic looks like something you don't want.

The next pic is likely a palythoa, that's something you do want. He looks like he is not getting enough light. He does not need feeding, but if you can feed him (tiny bit of fish food) he will grow and multiply faster.

I can give you some snails, not the ones commonly called turbos, a smaller one, but will eat diatoms. Be warned though, fast as the snails eat the diatoms, they will come back, until you have skimmed away the silicate from your water.

Hmm.. Yes Jetski did say there was a type of anenome that he noticed on one or two of his LR that should be removed. I'll definately check with him.

Thanks Wasp. I may go down to Taka again on Saturday arvo to collect water to do a water change. Are you keen again? or is it too soon for you?

Top one looks like an aiptasia. Just nuked a bunch with drano today.:) Got every one I could find... Then I sat down at my computer next to the tank and there was one left right at the front going like this :bounce: Nyeah nyeah, missed me!!!

I may go down to Taka again on Saturday arvo to collect water to do a water change. Are you keen again? or is it too soon for you?

might see you there, xmas party tomorrow night, depends on level of hangover... :D although high tide is 3:30pm so it'd have to be a bad one! might see you at 3pm saturday...