Blue Ram Eggs

Wok

Yay,

Just saw that the 2 pairs of blue rams I got last weekend have laid their first batch of eggs for me. :bounce: :bounce:

I knew they were up to something when the top of their terracotta containers were cleaned up of peat. :oops:

Now that I have eggs what do I do now? :-?

Brineshrimp is constantly on the go, so no problems there, green water is available by the bathtub lots. :lol:

do I need to take the adults out? if so... anyone got a spare tank? :lol:

Thanks for all the responses.

Dogmatix, the Rams are currently in their own 40L tank, however I do have 2 pairs in there.

I have done some reading and others have pm me that their recommendation is to remove the female after 2 weeks or the female would chomp on the kids. Males do all the minding.

Thanks all.

More info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Wok

He Wok, I understood that the female was the care-giver and gave the ol' man a bit of a hardtime,

ya know what I mean?? :wink:

I'd personally leave the others in with them,

it will create an atmosphere where the parents will want to defend their babies

instead of stupid fishie spats, resulting in one or other eating the new family.

Then they WILL scrap.

It's your fault

No it wasn't, it was yours

So it goes on.

Alan 104

Hi Wok

Congratulations :hail::hail::hail:

I agree with Alan, leave the fish alone at this time. The first 3 spawnings I had in the community tank I didn't even see the eggs - fry were the first visible proof - and both parents were guarding.

If you wait until you see the fry spiralling out of the nest area, then they have will have just used up the yolk sac and are ready for microworm and brine shrimp. At this time I syphoned the fry out and choose to raise them in a container rather than stress the parents trying to raise young in a tank with 50+ other fish. However if you have good parents, they should continue guarding a swarm of fry.

Came home this evening to find that one pair of blue rams have laid their second lot of eggs.

Wok, would we be able to see some photos once they have hatched? :roll: That is if they survive.

I really like these guys (Blue Rams) and have been reading with great interest! Would love some myself, but I don’t think that the Guppies would be so impressed with me. :-?

thanks all.

yeah I will post some picks of the eggs and fry, just as soon as I can find a digital camera.

bit short of funds at the moment. been spending on MORE tanks so that I can house the fry (when I get them) and looking at trying my hand at breeding cardinal Tetras.

Aargghhh :evil: :evil:

Talk about frustration... Rams are up to their 6th batch of eggs and every time they get eaten :-?

they have now moved from laying eggs on a terracota pot to laying eggs directly onto the gravel.

Well at least they are laying on a regular basis... been feeding them Daphnia and whiteworms :lol:

Oh welll let you know how things go.