Fish fighting

Melanie

My fish seem to be fighting lately.

My neon tetras have broken up their school and nip each other whenever they encounter each other.

My largest male guppy has it in for the minnows.

My largest minnow has it in for the guppies.

Why do they all want to eat each other all of a sudden? :( They're well-fed and have never quarreled like this before!

I spoke to representatives of all sides and it seems that the guppy found the incessant bickering from the minows, hence the agressive stance.

The minows feel that their sovereign rights have been violated by the tetras who continue to invade their territories and have been loudly vocalising this to the guppy faction to try and garner support.

The tetras have just split into two factions, one being extremely expansionist. Their infighting has spread to surrounding territories.

They feel that a water change, a healthy dose of stress coat and extra food would help things calm down. (The fish equivalent of a booze up at a BBQ)

You might want to do this before your nitrate levels rise too high, since the tetras are trying to make explosives with it...

I spoke to representatives of all sides and it seems that the guppy found the incessant bickering from the minows, hence the agressive stance.

The minows feel that their sovereign rights have been violated by the tetras who continue to invade their territories and have been loudly vocalising this to the guppy faction to try and garner support.

The tetras have just split into two factions, one being extremely expansionist. Their infighting has spread to surrounding territories.

They feel that a water change, a healthy dose of stress coat and extra food would help things calm down. (The fish equivalent of a booze up at a BBQ)

You might want to do this before your nitrate levels rise too high, since the tetras are trying to make explosives with it...

That made me laugh. :)

Ironically, this all happened right after a water change.

My only casualty seems to be one tetra; the guppy ripped his tail off and the other tetras rejected him.

I put him in with the guppy fry and he's got about half of a new tail grown now.