Bronze Cats again

Modern Angl

• 1 month later...

Hey there HandS,

First up, apologies for the late resonse ;). Our bronze corys have laid eggs many times now (we haven't always been able to rescue them!), and I have never seen them eat their eggs. However, I can't say whether this is part of their behaviour, or if it's down to the pesky Neons and Zebra Danios gobbling them first! So I would recommend scooping them up relatively quickly if you want to ensure your numbers.

We've never intentionally tried to breed them, they just seem to take it upon themselves to spurt out eggs on a regular basis :). So I reckon you won't have any problems there! We've found that when we do a water change, it seems to get them in the mood :). I've heard the reason for this is that they get a bit frisky when it rains in their natural environment. :lol:

I've often sat and watched them for ages while they lay their eggs - they tend to stick them near the top of the tank (which makes for easy collection with your trusty bank card :)), or in places where they can find a little cover from a bit of plant. You probably already know this, but leave a wee bit of time between the eggs being laid and collecting them. I've made the mistake of trying to get them while they were still warm (I wanted to grab them quick before the other fishies started to pick them off) and it all got a bit squishy :oops: .

Let us know how you get on. Good luck! :)

Cheers,

Laura :)

Hey Paul!

Glad to hear our critters are all grown up and doing well in their new tank :).

Cheers Ant....We got really excited about the huge pile of eggs our girl kept stacking on the glass at the time but unfortunately, disaster struck.

MA gathered up the eggs into an old cap from an aerosol can, and left it floating in the tank to keep warm while we heated up some old water in an empty tank. Half an hour later, we discovered the cap holding the eggs bobbing upside down in the tank, with nibbled eggs stuck to the sides. Grrr.

We knew that most of the eggs fell back into the tank and (most likely) got munched, but we stuck the remainder into the empty tank nonetheless, eaten or not, just to see if anything would happen.

After a few good sessions of hard staring at the tank over the next week or two, we couldn't see anything wriggling about so we stopped chucking Liquifry in there, thinking nothing had survived. I don't quite know why I did it, but around a week later I had one last stare and was amazed to find three wrigglies rolling around in some old debris at the bottom of the tank! :D We've since discovered another four, and they're all starting to plump out - just past the point of looking like nothing but a pair of eyes :).

There must have been enough green stuff in the water to keep them going while we weren't feeding - and I've heard these fish have to eat loads during their first few days. We were dead chuffed! These fish are great little survivors :).

I used to breed a lot of angels and raised them in bare tanks to start with. I used to seperate male and female corys and feed them well then spawn them in the bare tank and rear them with the angels. They were realy good bottom cleaners and they were all fed brine shrimp straight off and did well. If conditioned well they will spawn on demand if you give them a water change at night and drop the temperature you will have eggs next morning. There is always a market for them too.

Angels are a fish I've long been fascinated by, but so far I haven't got off my tush and bought any yet. Of course our tanks are now packed full of plecs and catfish with lovely flowing fins and trailing barbels that an angel would just looove to snack on :roll: :).

I'm willing to trade an unruly, overweight cat for an extra tank and some angel offspring :wink: .

Nah, life would be boring without him using my intestines as a trampoline when his biscuits run out at 6 in the morning :).

You interested then? :lol:

Go on, he's a delightful boy. Only pooing outside his litter tray twice a day, he is exceptionally house-trained and wouldn't dream of beating up his sister.

Order one today for a 30 day trial, and if he reduces you thighs to ribbons with his claws we'll refund your Angels, and you'll receive this complimentary 10 CD volume of Burt Bacharach's Greatest Hits (not available in any shops). (You get to keep the cat, though).

But wait...there's more!

Reply to this post within the next 10.3 seconds and we'll throw in a year's supply of duckweed and some online computer game accounts absolutely free!!! (:) MA's gonna kill me :)).

Nah, I love my fat ginger really....if he wasn't around, I'd have no-one to laugh at :wink::).

How you doing Mystic? I'm recovering from another nose op and I've caught a nasty case of cabin fever :). You can probably tell! :lol:

Just beore I go, I'd like to try a bouncing pea...

:bounce:

Tee hee!

Cheers,