light

pearlyred

Fish also derive a certain vitamin from light.. (can't rem which.. A I think).. but fish in subdued lighting will not feed at the same rate as ones in normal lighting.. so I would imagine their growth would also be affected.

Normal daylight might be fine.. but the feeding hours would be greatly reduced for fry.

Bill.

Hi PR..

The size of the rearing tank can make a bit of difference for some fry.

Often a smaller tank is better in some cases, as the fry don't have to hunt for food.. but it is in front of them at all times during feeding periods.

An example would be that Betta fry would fare better in a 300x300x300 (or a couple if a larger spawn).. tank/s rather than a 600x300x300.

Larger tanks mean that the fry are expending great amounts of energy in their quest for food... plus bare bottom tanks let them get the food much easier.

Also heavy filtration outlets can make the fry expend a lot of energy.. which is the main reason I use sponge filters in my fry tanks.

It's been a fair few years since I bred the Bettas.. but one thing we always did was to lower the water level "very slowly" once the eggs were seen in the nest.. and this level was maintained for several weeks so that the fry didn't have to fight constantly to reach the surface... which again saved their energy.

Bill.

Its a few years since I bred bettas but I found it worked for me by lowering the water leval and drip feeding infusoria through a blood transfusion system for the first few weeks gave them a good start. I used a 12volt pilot light system to keep them feeding at night and to avoid the shock when the main lights came on. You can then start introducing microworm and artemia nuplii as they get big enough. If they can't see the food they can't eat it, and their growth will be directly proportional to the amount of good quality food you can get them to eat.

Alan, the tank their in probably isnt ideal but its all that was empty.

Theyre in roughly 30x18cm tank, with about 12cm depth of water.

Temp is around 27-28 degrees.

Dont have a sponge filter spare atm, so they have just an air stone and i've been doing small water changes. Top is sealed with a plastic wrap cover.

Theyre definately in there (or something is anyway), they just dont seem to be growing :P