A few Goldfish questions

Gretal

I've given up trying to work out how to sex my goldfish, as it's near impossible for me. :) I recently bought another 4, 1 of which I was told was definately a male, but he looks like all the rest of mine to me. In the new bunch was a black moor. Last night when I got home from work, it was being harassed rather strongly by the large male (who is sort of a black moor/fantail cross), and a smaller fish. None of the others were interested. I'm not sure if its a female and they were trying to do whatever, or what. It looks the same underneath as the others. My dilemma is do I leave it, assuming its the natural breeding process, or remove it to another tank, if its a male and getting picked on? How do I tell? It's looking abit battered today, with abit of scale damage on its sides.

Any help would be appreciated!

The big fat shaped goldfishes can be hard to sex. Look down on the fish from above. Males are more streamlined and their tails are straight. Females are more rounded and their tail looks like it is slightly to the left or right side a bit.

When due to spawn, males get small white dots on their gills. Females get even fatter.

We quite often get spawning when new fish go into the tank. Sounds like your black moor is a girl and the two chasing her are boys. On the odd occassion we have had to remove the poor exhausted female. Keep an eye on her. They should stop within a couple of days.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately is spawning some fish die, the females get battered by the males, they hit there bellies, trying to get the eggs to release so the can fertilize them with there milt.

I have had to take a couple of female Calico's out late last year, they where so exhausted, siting on the bottom, while the males are trying to bash them.

Like the others have said, keep an eye on her, if you have a good natural ballance in your pond or tank your fish will heal in no time, very hardy Goldfish are.

The Shark