does anyone use lead weights for there plants.

jinx

I never found the weights helped in that regard. You can buy little netting things from your lfs to hold plants down when the fish are pulling. Do you have a separate tank where you can put the plants first to grow a decent root system before adding them to the aquarium?

Hi

Almost all plants I bought here, had a leadwrapping around their roots. To hold them together. I might be wrong, but I don't like lead in my fishtank. The lead, ordinary solder ones, were getting a greyish deposit on the outside. I saw a report on TV, where the english were thinking of coating Gunpellets with a plastic coating. Because all the duckshooters left "tons" of them in their lakes. And lead does seem to have some effect on fish. I am not an expert, but why do they worry about it?

John

I haven't found them to be particularly helpful either. They're too small to hold the plant in if anything bigger than a tetra is yanking on it, and just shoving the plant into the gravel usually holds it well enough until it grows some roots when it's not being dug up. They do at least keep the plant from floating on the surface when it gets yanked up. I've tried cable tying the plants to 1-2" pebbles or rubber banding them and my cichlids still managed to uproot them.

Hi

Caryl's suggestion regarding a bread-plastic-tie sounds good... But it will strangulate the plant-stalk. Because it cannot grow any wider. The hard plastic prevents that. A correctly planted plant, has its roots spread out in the hole you make, thus making a reasonable stable plant which cannot come out easily.

John