FISH SOS

MartyM

Hi have posted this before but easy and costs a few bucks..

Cycle or StresszFme bactrica .. in 275 liter new tank warm water..rain.

in goes crc Cap Full in go discus up to 6 adults..

Day 4 i start to see if nitrite is starting to show..yes..30 % warm same water from bulk tanks and them rare to see spike again..but they along with 124 others get even cold water if solar pipes are getting no sun..what sun..

Thats about 10% ever day still rain and mains used 1 hr a week to add some minerals.

6.5Ph.. Ammonia less toxic.. teaspoon salt to 4.5liters even improves

reducing toxic levels.

most fish will tolerate 6.9 Ph and thats when Ammonia changes characters and becomes much less toxic..

And have posted before the values of fine gravel and u.g air filters..Billions of places of bugs to live.

And for the ones that dont like u/g dont start up time wasting arguments again..

Cheers Phill Collis :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marty, sorry to hear about your fishies that have dies, After having a 4ft tropical tank for 5 yrs, Since I joined this forum, not that long ago, I have learnt soooo much info from the guys on here, and I too lost a heap of fishies, when I first started out in this hobby, but keep on with it and you will reap the rewards, there's nothing nicer than to be able to sit and watch your little fishies swimming around. Happy fishing. :D

Your bronze cats (corydorus) are pretty hardy and in heavily poluted rivers etc they are the last to die. They grab air from the surface and can absorb it through the gut so can survive in conditions of low dissolved oxygen. Your neons need high oxygen levals. The cloudy water can be a bacterial bloom and may put a very heavy demand on the oxygen available. My tanks are heavily planted and this helps to stabilise the system (but only when they are established) You need to be patient and allow time for the tank to stabilize and then make changes slowly by introducing new fish slowly. Don't believe the pet shops, they are in the business of making money by selling you stuff. We have an untreated artesian water supply and I would hate to think how much beginners spend on products to treat the water from all the pet shops in town.

Damn, looks like your fish store decided to give you the runaround and squeeze you for a bit of extra cash. Feel sorry that this has happened. :(

Just read this thread earlier and got the immediate urge to check my newly cycling tanks. My nitrite levels have been dangerously high for about two weeks. Have been doing very large water changes to keep it under control. (along with stresszyme) It has been bugging me that the bacteria had not taken up residence yet, since ammonia levels have been zero for some time.

Turns out that tonight was the night that they are starting to drop! :bounce:

Found a note I made when I laid the tanks down and it is exactly 4 weeks ago I started the cycle. (expecting a 5 week total cycle time now)

Was really worried about my danios for a while there - even though they were the "pioneer fish", I didn't want to lose one. The nitrite went dark purple at a couple of times. I monitored them for red gills and the rest of the symptoms of nitrite poisoning, but they were really healthy looking and colourful. (they seemed to improve colour, but what would I know)

The advice here is essentially what I have done, so a bit of patience will almost gaurantee you a good tank in the end. It can be a bit frustrating at the start since you want to dive in (so to speak) at the start.

I will be using the same process for my third tank.

Good luck

Hi

With cultured Stresszyme or Cycle..

The speed cyling will be based is how much you use..

Go by instructions and yes it'll take a long time but in 270 litre tanks i put crc cap full.

On about day 4 i might to see spike and do 30% change..usually thats it..

Im doing trials on quarantine tanks that are sterlized between shipment with animal urine.. get good spike on 3 to 4 day with no fish . dump that water and refill and looks like cycling done..Might even try to old pee my selve..sound :evil: but thats is what is feeding bactria

Cheers Phill Collis

Hi

Store stuff seams to act so much slower than natural.

But main idea is to culture own supplies in bulk to add to inflow fresh water ..

Also looking at Protexin Multi Strain that is for Birds animals..Probotics..

There is a Aquatic protexin but not in this country.waiting replys as to dose rates..

This stuff is claimed to kill other virus and bactria,

Cheers Phill Collis