Wool for spawning mops

whetu

Can anyone tell me where I can get nylon wool suitable for making spawning mops?

I've been told the wool should be dark green (I suppose it makes it look more 'natural' - to us or the fish?). It needs to have dye that doesn't leech and not be treated with harmful chemicals.

Any favourites?

Hi Whetu,

Welcome to the forum.

What are you breeding ?

Just been looking for some old posts that had some reference to spawning mops, but couldn't find them.

Andrew breeds Killies and may be able to help. (See Killie Section)

If you want a mop that hangs, then I use a piece of webbing as used in backpacks or harness gear.

Just cut across the strap and tease the end of the cross fibres out.

You will find that the strap unravells leaving you with thousands of crinkled long tassles. Brushing these out make them softer, and as they are nylon, they can be washed etc with no problems.

The dye in this type of webbing will not leach out BTW.

Pin it to a lump of styrene and it will hang down nicely in the tank, or you could use several if needed.

Offcuts of strap webbing can be obtained from bag mfgs or saddlery repair places

Look forward to hearing about your fish.

Happy Days,

Bill (Pegasus)

Welcome to the fishroom whetu.

I just go to the local knitting supplies shop. I think dark wool is suggested as it is easier to see the eggs on it. I use black myself (as it goes with everything :lol: )

Not had one leech colour yet. Not sure what toxic chemicals they would have unless they have been treated with flame retardant.

What are you hoping to spawn?

Hi Caryl and Pegasus,

I'm hoping to spawn zebra danios and/or rosy barbs. I'm just starting to get 'serious' about my fishy hobby, and I'm told both these fish are easy to breed.

Both fish are showing spawning behaviour, so I've set up a spawning tank for the danios. I put marbles in the bottom, but they didn't behave the same way as they did in the well-planted community tank. (They had been wriggling around in a plant I had in there.) I was told a spawning mop might make a difference.

What do you think?

Whetu

Hi Whetu,

I recently had Zebra danios spawn in a new breeding tank. The eggs were scattered over the whole tank but in higher numbers in and below a low plastic plant, prob. 5cm high 20cm wide and maybe 8cm deep.

P.S. you might want to rethink marbles, they work but are a pain to remove!

Next time I'll prob. try some form of netting.

Good Luck :D

Whetu said...

>... Can anyone tell me where I can get nylon wool suitable

> for making spawning mops?

For my killies, I use a lot of mops. Generally I make these

by wrapping any handy *acrylic* wool numerous times around

a suitable book and then cutting one end. The other end has

another piece of wool tied around all the strands. I clamp one

strand into a 35mm film cannister to make the mop float.

Have a look here:

http://www.petfish.net/mop.htm

Andrew.