What kind of Pleco is this?

magenta

I could be WAY off here but from some pictures that I have seen on the net it could be a peppermint pleco. I also know that they don't grow very big either (15cm). They are as common in australia (apparently) as the normal bristlenoses are here in NZ. What I have seen from the peppermint is that its body is black with white/cream coloured spots.

But as I said I could be WAY off lol. I was going to say a gold nugget but the only reason why I didn't as I thought that they have a large yellow band on their top fin and tail.

Here is a link to a peppermint pleco

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/lo ... /189_f.php

This is a hard one to identify as there are just so many black plecos with white/yellow spots. If you could get a better quality shot of its mouth, showing its teeth clearly, this would go along way to help identifying it. Also bettter quality pics of the whole fish.

At the moment how big is it?

Also what country are you from? This could also help.

What first came to mind was Hypancistrus inspector (L201), but this could be wrong!

BTW, I am pretty sure that the Peppermint Pleco that they have in Aussie is an Ancistrus sp., and not L30.

Cheers, CatBrat.

Thanks Penejane and Catbrat,

I'd love to give you some more photos - but at the moment he/she is hidden at the back of the tank, behind the driftwood.

He/she looks like a different fish today - darker skin (probably a lot less stressed), spots still creamy to yellow rather than white.

I posted on Planet Catfish last night too - it was a bit late for Kiwis - and they seem to think it will by a Hypancistrus inspector too :D

I updated my profile - we're in Christchurch,NZ

Are these common here?

What should I have paid for one? (dare I ask)

Cheers,

Hamish

Hi Hamish,

Whatever "rare pleco species" it is, the normal retail for something like that is in the $150-$200 range in fish stores. Can we ask how much you paid?? :wink:

Oh, and my guesstimate (by body shape and colouration) is a peppermint pleco. http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/parancis/189_f.php has some pretty bad pictures, but you should get the idea :)

do all plecos have teeth???

Yes, I'm pretty sure that they all do, in different variations. Each different genus has different teeth structures, which are specifically designed to different jobs. For example Panaque spp. Have large teeth which make it easier for them to eat wood, where as Baryancistrus spp. have large scrapping pads which enable the to graze over hard surfaces. By having a picture of the teeth it can make it much easier to narrow it down to the right genus, and find the right species.

Cheers, CatBrat.

Hi BlueandKim,

We paid $130 for our spotty pleco.

We are new to the hobby and really have no idea how much we should be paying for fish. :o

We just loved him as soon as we saw him peeking out from behind a rock.

Pleased to know he does not retail for as little as the two bristle noses we have. Now that would have been embarrassing! :oops:

Cheers,

Hamish and Melissa

LOL, well, it seems you got a great price for it! They're great plecos and well worth the money. Just keep in mind that they can be sensitive to water changes and should be fed plecobits or similar products. Driftwood in the tank is usually a must, as well.

chows down on driftwood all day and it sounds like a mouse chewing at the walls....

Oh my gosh...I didn't realize they "ate" driftwood...thought it was more of a sucking on it thing. Hold on, do all plecos require driftwood???

Thanks :bow::bow: ...I really don't want to have to go looking for driftwood...but if they wouldn't survive without it...then I would :o

When they get a bit bigger, I'll try to get better pics...but so far I think they are the "common" kind.

I've saved that site to my favorites and will check it out later or tomorrow :roll: