So many questions

MorknMindy

I have just seen a tiny white worm in my 55 litre octagonal tank can someone tell me what it is? I think I read somewhere about a white worm turning up because of over feeding which is quite on the cards as the kids have been feeding the fish this week and they are probably over doing it but I can't remember if it was harmless to the fish or not.

I also need some advice on what to put in that tank I had 1 Bristlenose catfish, 1 Siamese Fighting Fish and 5 emperor tetras but I think when the light went out the tetras were nipping at the Betta so I have removed them to the communal tank. Any ideas what I should put in with the Betta would be really appreciated.

OK last question can I put salt in with the betta to help heal the nips he looks a bit sorry for himself at the moment and I am quite worried he wont make it if I don’t do something to help him

Tiny white worms are usually planaria and a result of overfeeding. They are harmless and will disappear once the kids learn not to overfeed the fish :wink:

I always think bettas should be in a species only tank but that is just my opinion.

If you want to add something to help his fins - Melafix is the one you want I think (I'm at work so can't read off the bottle what it is for but from memory it is good for ripped fins)

He is in the tank with just the little bristnose and is looking very depressed :cry: so I might see if I can get hubby to stop in at the LPS and pick up some Melafix on his way home.

With him being a siamese fighting fish you can't put other males in the tank so can you buy females I have never seen any here in NZ not that I would recognise one as I have only ever seen them on overseas TV programs?

I don't know much about them...but I think it is a 2 females to 1 male ratio...I think, I know that you have to have more females then males or else the males would be constantly...ah...aggravating the female :o

I do know that you cannot put 2 males together...they will apparently fight to the death, am I right?

But others with experience will verify all this for you.

Thanks I will have to keep my eyes open for some. Unfortunately with the way the male is looking at the moment I might not need to worry about keeping him happy. It seem every time my daughter chooses a fish it ends up dieing :cry: First it was kissing gourami and now the Betta maybe I should just pick the fish for her from now on.

I reckon fighters need lots of plants around them. We have one in a tank full of plants and one in a fairly bare tank (should be better soon with its improved lighting). The one in the plant tank seems much happier.

Cheers,

Vapo

• 2 weeks later...

I had a male and a female fighter in my community tank for over a year. They did fabulously well. It was heavily planted and they built lots of nests and laid many eggs which got eaten. The fish I had were - 2 dwarf gouramis, neons, guppies, catfish, bristlenoses, glowlights, swords. None of these bothered the fighters. I got rid of Angel fish and Platies because they did hastle the fighters. The ratio for fighters is supposed to be 1 male and 2 females but make sure you have a fairly large tank with plenty of hiding places.

Cheers