You could have knocked me down with a feather!!!!!!!!!!!!

debs01

Ant said

Don't use THIS

Read the info,

Mould and Mildew - resistant.

As soon as you see that on a product you are thinking of using for your tank.

Put it back.

Look for one that says "For Aquarium Use"

It MUST, when you use it, smell strongly like vinegar.

This is acetic acid fumes given off, and when using the silicon,

make sure it is used in well ventilated area.

I personally use Selleys Glass Silicone Sealant. (clear)

[for windws and aquariums]

Alan 104

Why do you want to use acrylic to make a tank when there is so much less hassle with glass.

You only have to glue glass, it doesn't scatch to the same degree.

It is fairly easily obtainable.

Going the other way, you have to literally melt or weld one to the other,

harder to find, and scratches fairly easily.

What size tank are you looking at??

Alan 104

I am making a tank inside an old TV as explained in the rest of the thread, I thought acrylic would be good as suggested by someone in here because it could be moulded to bulge out a little like the old television.

I was under the impression that normal silicone would be sufficient to join the sides :-?

Yeah, as long as you don't go nuts with the heat gun it shouldn't ruin the visibility. I don't think it's critical to get the shape exactly right, so you could try, if you can get the front of the TV off, lay it on the inside of the TV front about where it would be when assembled lay it face down and hit it with the heat gun and let it sag from gravity. Should give you a reasonable curve.

There are also clear Acrylic Domes that they use for buildings and caravans. They are quite thick and sturdy.. but quite clear.

Don't know the cost, or where to get them.. but it would save a lot of work as there is a flat area around the bubble which could possible be bonded to an existing tank.

Bill.

Damn! I had an old tv like that, and was half heartedly thinking about doing something similar, but thought it'd be too hard. Left it behind when I moved out of my last flat. S'pose I could always go round and see if my old flatmate has chucked it out or not..........

After all, hubby said I'm not allowed to *buy* anymore fish tanks. He didn't say I couldn't make any ;)