salt content

TerminalAddict

one tablespoon of rock salt per 10L of water

this just doesn't sound right to me (no offense Wayne)

that would mean for my 1000L *freshwater* tank I would add 100 tablespoons ...

that sounds like an awful lot of salt :-? almost marine :-?

:-?

advice please ....... how about a Specific Gravity rcommendation??

I've also read this article by Caryl

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/salt.0.html

that states

You need a specific gravity of 1.005-1.015, which means around 1 teaspoon of salt per 4½ litres. Do not use common table salt. Although non-iodised salt is OK, the specially formulated aquarium sea salts are best.

ok now I really confused.

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

There was something in my article that confused you or you are just confused between the two bits of information?

The information used in that article was taken from a book by Dick Mills and magazine articles, it was not based on personal experience.

That's actually an EXTREMELY high dosage for salt. I usually use about 1 tablespoon per 10 GALLONS. Doubling that to 1 per 5 gallons would be ok for a heavier dose, and 1/10 liters would be about double that again. I don't think I'd use that much and only in a hospital tank, wouldn't dose my tanks with the other fish in it like that.

No offence taken terminaladdict :D

try these articles written by fish vets in the states/UK..

http://www.dphnet.com/sub-article/cat-02/salt.shtml

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/art ... edications

If we presume marine water = 3% salt.

that means 3 grams per 100ml = 30 grams per L.....so for your 1000L tank, it would be 30 000grams = 30kg of salt.......damn now that's heaps!

a 0.1 % solution is considered safe for most freshwater spp....now that's only 0.1 gram per 100ml = 1 gram per L = 1 kg of salt for 1000L... u can go up to 3 kg for 1000L( i.e 0.3%) safely for the species u keep.....At this 'low' dose, the fish should thrive indefinitely in this solution..hope this clears up any doubts mate.

no worries man :D

I find these 2 sites with excellent n accurate information regarding diseases/treatment etc. But certain articles on the discus site are written by 'lay-people' and should b viewed with discretion. damn...can't find the other site....but there's a third one somewhere.... :( will keep u posted. :D