He's alive!!!

Faran

So last weekend we went on a fish shopping drive up and down the coast from WGTN to see what we could find. My best find was a Royal Panaque and he's a beaut. Sadly enough he disappeared into the deep recesses of the tank and was never seen again....

The BNs in the tank are more carnivorous than veggies, and the courgette that I throw in there usually gets nibbled but primarily decomposes. Then this week (even though I thought the Panaque had jumped or died) the courgette was getting DEMOLISHED. We're talking overnight a large chunk was disappearing. So maybe the Panaque was around... or those pesky new tetras REALLY like courgette!

I wasn't too sure if I was going to "boast" about him in here as I didn't see him at all since I put him in on Sunday.... until now. Just walked in the room and saw a lyretail with that unmistakable white band go flying behind the driftwood.

!!!!!!IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

So yeah, just the initial "cat in a bag" pic to share. May be a while before he starts being social enough to pose for pics....

Panaque2.jpg

invercargill is now down to only one petstore (totaly sucks) and I have never seen any catfish of this kind (or any other unusual kind) in this store apart from the common bn's and their bigger brothers and a small variety of corys. You guys are sooo lucky to have a good selection of stores to go to for your fish :D

LOL, PJ we drove all day for that trip. In South Island terms it would be the same as driving to Christchurch and back (not even close realistically, but relatively). I've never seen that fish (Royal Pleco) in any of the shops around here, though it seems the big LFS had one that a fellow member of KMAC picked up.

Pass. Yes, they cost an arm and a leg. Luckily the LFS was quite insistant that it was another type of fish (which is also something that I'd like to get but too pricey). I have to say though... I spent about $200 more on that little trip than I was supposed to :oops:

Just saw him again. Looking good, but much smaller than I remembered :lol:

I'm glad he's okay Hope he gets braver soon, too! Would be really awful to have him hiding all the time. Maybe when he gets a little bigger... say to 28cm :) So does anyone know if this one has a max size of 28 or 38? I get conflicting reports but I'm afraid it's 38cm.... gonna have to get a bigger tank!

Well I would have to say that its max size, if kept in optimal conditions, with enough space, would be over 40cm (including it's tail)!! But the time it would take to reach that size (especially in an aquarium) would most likely be 10+ years (they are very slow growers in pleco terms). And i think a more realistic size would be around 10-12". This pic here show an adult next to a young one... - HERE (PlanetCatfish). Pretty big huh!!

Cheers, CatBrat.

Ah, yes. I used tha pic tonight to show the guy that spotted him what he'll grow up to look like. Well, I hope that he'll get settled enough to come out with humans around. The main problem is that the BNs in that tank are quite skittish and scatter when there's movement in the room. Not very social at all. As this is a group behaviour, it's likely that the Royal Plec will follow suit until he outgrows the hiding places and comes out (rather like Syno Cats).

I'm just glad I can finally stop checking under furniture to find where the cats took it if it jumped :) Happened with a spotted dojo that got out (they're like huge kuhli loaches) and found him mummified under my bed when we moved years later....

Thats quite weird as my bn's (female and male 3 inches long) are always out and about. My male expecially comes to the front of the tank morning and night at feeding time. The female is still getting used to things so it will take her a little longer to do the same. Its just that I got a shit camera to get good photos with!. My catfish are always "posing" at the front of the tank and the only thing that I have noticed that startles them is when the kids are running up and down the hallway. Apart from that all is good :D

Still an awesome looking catfish tho! The only plecos that I have seen at the pet store is a snowflake and red spot. Very awesome find :D

Might have to take a trip to dunedin and see what they have there :D

Wow... these guys really do grow into impressive creatures. So here's my research results. The "blue-eyed royal pleco" grows to about 30cm and these guys are closer to 40. Males have very thick, spiney pectorals but bith sexes have very similar patterns and body structure.

check out this pic if you're seriously thinking about getting one of these....