The amazing escaping snail!

Melanie

I have a big, black snail in my freshwater, 10 gallon aquarium. He used to be rather well behaved, but just lately he has been trying to escape. He climbs up to the top of the tank, hits th barrier, and falls back down.

Does anyone know about snails?

Should I be feeding him something special? Is he wanting out because he's hungry? Or is it just normal that he wants to get some air sometimes?

How big is it? They need to leave the water to lay eggs, but reproduce sexually so if you ony have one this is unlikely. Some species such as P. canaliculata will actively seek food out of the water (Incidentally, this is why they're considered such a pest in rice fields. They eat rice seedlings.) and can escape from any tank without a cover. I wouldn't worry to much about it though :).

Speaking of the mystery "mystery snails" from Animates: how bad are they on the plants? Is it reasonable to expect that plants will grow faster than the snails are going to eat them (if they eat them at all).

Animates do post a warning that mystery snails "will eat plants".

All of the large snails will eat plants. The only snails that I've found do a decent job of cleaning algae and excess food and don't touch plants - Ramshorns. Not the little flat spiral snails, either, these - http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auct ... d=35640687

Sadly, I just had a trio of Convicts demolish an entire colony of them in my little tank :(

Oh, by the way, I should note that Ramshorns poo like no tomorrow and are very good at fertilizing plants.... but pretty hard on the gravel if you prefer a nice tidy tank.

That's my two clicks... completely off the subject.

I have two snails, both "mystery snails" from Animates.

The albino one I put with my fry. He looks like the one on the index of the apple snail site. He has finished off about $20 worth of plants so far. I have videos of him devouring them. However he keeps the fry tank free and eats anyone who doesn't make it... as happens with fry, sadly to say. I have given up having plants in the fry tank because he just eats them.

He's never given me any trouble.

I keep a black snail in my tropical tank and he's the one giving me issues. He won't touch the plants. He's stopped his escape attempts today but it's good to know that he ought to survive off of extra food and such.

The brown mystery or apple snails are pretty safe with plants unless they're starving. The golden ones will clear fell your plants though.

Yea that's exactly what I've found!

I almost wish I hadn't bought the stupid white one, but I think the fry tank needs something in there.

oh i wish i could take the golden snail off your hands for you! i think they are pretty and fasinating! and i don't mind their appetite either. shame you live up in welly.

I admit I love watching him. He is more fun to watch than the fry. I've made videos of him devouring plants. If he manages to have babies, you are welcome to some. But he hasn't yet, though the black one has.

Anyone want the black, non-plant-eating ones?

Come on Guys/Gals you all know about these snails surely :roll: .. "yellow" coloured =( golden apple snail) = plant eater=(lawnmower).... "dark brown"= ( mystery snail)=(meat/muck scavenger) ( good community dudes) all lay eggs above water line ... pity people who have golden apple babies ( will replicate amazon forest defoliation)............. 8)

Guys, colour has nothing to do with snail identification or appetite. Almost all of the species each come in colour morphs ranging from bright yellow to dark brown. As an example, P. bridgesii is often found in yellow form but wil barely harm plants. You need much more than colour to identify them. Try http://www.applesnail.net to find the identification guides there.

P.S. The real determining factor on whether or not snails will eat plants is the size of the 'teeth' on the radula. Big teeth = eats plants. Small teeth = can't eat plants.

I've heard of an apple snail eating a live Siamese Fighter before! Maybe that was just really hungry though.

:-? I seriously doubt this. The siamese fighter must've been on its last legs and barely able to swim if the snail managed to catch it. They are opportunistic and will eat dead animals if they smell them, but are not predatory. There is no way a snail can catch a heathy fish. The only live fish these things might eat are still in their eggs.