I have Axolotl eggs advice needed please

MsNavaho

Hi there and thanks in advance for any advice I get.

First of all I found lots of eggs in the tank so I removed the 2 axolotl's and inserted an airstone into the egg tank.

What I need advice on is from doing a fair bit of reading I understand I am going to be needing brine shrimp or some form of live feed for the hatchlings. which are due to hatch in about 16 days.

Could someone please tell me if brine shrimp can be bought from the pet shop any advice on this topic would be great

Cheers

Meg

I am raising a few juveniles at the moment and have just got about 100 more eggs.

http://axolotl.org/rearing.htm will tell you everything you need to know about rearing, that´s a caudata site.

I got brine shrimp eggs from four season´s pet shop. $14 for 6g! Most pet stores sell them. They come with all the instructions. If you have alot of eggs you´ll probably want to cull some of them. From what I hear they can be really expensive to raise. Daphnia are a good idea for when they´re big enough to eat them http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/

I don't feed humans to my fish. I only said that because you were implying that Daphnia were insubstantial because they were 95% water. What I meant by that comment is that most organisms are extrememly high in water, especially those that live in it, for what I thought would be obvious reasons. Brine Shrimp, I suppose, are fairly unique in that respect due to the extremely high salinity of their habitat and the subsequent increase in osmoregulation on their part.

I never thought I'd talk about osmoregulation outside high school biology, ever.

Low percentage of fat you mean. How do you know that bbs have more protein just because they have a higher percentage? To use a relevent analogy, just because the Ocean has 3% salt and the Great Salt Lake has something insane like 40%(?) doesn't mean that the Great Salt Lake has more salt in total.

And neither of the organisms have stripes.

Talking about size difference then, lake vs ocean etc. If your still under the impression that daphny is a "high qaulity food" and you can be bothered doing the relevent equations to figure out the difference in size and nutrition between the two food then go ahead, ill be interested to see your results. However i will tell you know, before you even bother, that daphny will still come in falling far behind.

Shae

Talking about size difference then, lake vs ocean etc.

Yes, it's called an analogy, drawing lines of similarity between things that are otherwise dissimilar. Pay more attention in English.

If your still under the impression that daphny is a "high qaulity food" and you can be bothered doing the relevent equations to figure out the difference in size and nutrition between the two food then go ahead, ill be interested to see your results.

I never called Daphnia a "high qaulity food"(sic) so there's no need to have that in double apostrophes. It would be easy to compare the two if I had the weights of each but they don't seem to be readily available anywhere.

However i will tell you know, before you even bother, that daphny will still come in falling far behind.

I never even pretended that Daphnia had more nutritional value to young Axolotls than bbs (although it's evident that you don't actually know if they are or not). The only thing that I was disputing was your assertion that Daphnia have "little Nutritional value" (note the correct usage of double apostrophes), which they don't. They're low in fat, high in protein easy to keep and entirely free (depending on where you get them from of course, but even if you do pay for them you're paying for free daphnia forever)

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I tried running your post through Babelfish but I found that it doesn't have a "Shae's English to English" option.

English have never been my forte : D

I know what an analogy is, it is for this reason I said "size difference then"

How is 4% high protein? Considering they are so small!

No, you never said they were a "high quality food" but you did say "almost the perfect fish food", I'm sure even you can make the connection.......

I never even pretended that Daphnia had more nutritional value to young Axolotls than bbs (although it's evident that you don't actually know if they are or not).

How is this so? I am very clear in my statements that it IS a better food; I have presented evidence to support it as well.

The only thing that I was disputing was your assertion that Daphnia have "little Nutritional value"

Which I still stand by firmly.

Granted Daphnia can be cultured and acquired free, but so can BS. Daphnia cultures also die, easily and without warning.

Both foods can be infused to become even more nutritional to there eaters.

I tried running your post through Babelfish but I found that it doesn't have a "Shae's English to English" option.

Ill get in touch with Babelfish and let them know....

Cheers Shae

How is this so? I am very clear in my statements that it IS a better food; I have presented evidence to support it as well.

What evidence? Do you mean the percentages again? I've already covered those, they're not valid to compare by because the organisms don't have the same mass. I tried telling you that with the whole ocean/lake analogy before but it seems to have slipped past you. Notice I say mass, not size, because as you were so eager to point out, Daphnia are mostly water and hence size can be misleading.

you never said they were a "high qaulity food" but you did say "almost the perfect fish food", I'm sure even you can make the connection.......

Oh yes, I can see how the two are similar, but putting the phrase in double apostrophes usually signifies a quotation. I'm sure even you, the conceded unskilled in English, must realise this.

Granted Daphnia can be cultured and acquired free, but so can BBS. Daphnia cultures also die, easily and without warning.

Can bbs be aquired free though? I had no idea. Here was me paying $70 a tin for their eggs.

Baby Brine Shrimp (bbs) cannot be cultured though. If you try they turn into adult Brine Shrimp and then how would you go about seperating the babies (small enough for baby Axolotls to eat) from the adults?(which are too big usually and even more devoid of nutritional value than you claim Daphnia to be! - because I'm sure even you will admit that the main part of bbs that is of nutritional value is their uneaten egg sac)

As for Daphnia cultures dieing easily and without warning, I have no experience with this. I keep my cultures well harvested to avoid overpopulation, which can easily wipe out a population if you don't pay enough attention to it (scooping out a netful of Daphnia each week isn't really too hard though). As the old proverb goes "don't keep all your eggs in one basket" likewise don't keep all your Daphnia in one waterproof container.

What might be easier than getting Babelfish to change their website would be for you to learn how to correctly use the English language. Just a thought, though.

Oh yes, I can see how the two are similar, but putting the phrase in double apostrophes usually signifies a quotation. I'm sure even you, the conceded unskilled in English, must realise this.

I do realise this, it is for that reason I used quotation marks, look up buddy, you said it… :bow:

Can bbs be aquired free though? I had no idea. Here was me paying $70 a tin for their eggs.

Baby Brine Shrimp (bbs) cannot be cultured though. If you try they turn into adult Brine Shrimp and then how would you go about seperating the babies (small enough for baby Axolotls to eat) from the adults?

Missed the boat a bit there mate :roll: , look up, I said BS, not BBS…….oh and dude check your spelling ‘acquired’ and ‘separating’.

As for Daphnia cultures dieing easily and without warning, I have no experience with this.

Well you lucky then, I know a few people personally who have had there cultures die out, including myself, however I never really used them, not nutritious enough.

What might be easier than getting Babelfish to change their website would be for you to learn how to correctly use the English language. Just a thought, though.

Your thought will be taking under advisement....... :roll:

Cheers Shae

I do realise this, it is for that reason I used quotation marks, look up buddy, you said it… :bow:

I wasn't referring to my actual quote, I was talking about the pseudo quote "high qaulity food", which you made to look like mine that wasn't

Missed the boat a bit there mate :roll: , look up, I said BS, not BBS…….oh and dude check your spelling ‘acquired’ and ‘separating’.

Ah, I see you've edited it accordingly (I did click the quote button, not type it all out by hand, I didn't touch what you said originally.)

To quote you "I've obviously proved my point if all you can do is pick apart my spelling". I don't point out all of your spelling and grammatical errors because I don't have all day. Mate.

Well you lucky then, I know a few people personally who have had there cultures die out, including myself, however I never really used them, not nutritious enough.

Yes, me must just be lucky. Like I mentioned right after that quote though, having more than one culture eliminates even the possibility of damage in the unlikely event of a crash.

Your thought will be taking under advisement....... :roll:

Glad to hear it'll be 'taking under advisement'. I know complete literacy's a big ask, but we all must have something to strive for.

Children, children stop this useless bickering at once!! :evil:

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I have never lost a daphnia culture for inexplicable reasons and have had them continually for about 15 years now.

I can get free brine shrimps and eggs 'cos I live near Lake Grassmere! :wink:

Baby axolotls will not care about the nutritional value of their food so give them plenty and give them variety. No problem!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there and thanks for your advice

Alan I am in South Auckland

I have been feeding them Brine Shrimp and am getting pretty good at getting a good yeild now but its costing a fair bit so I know I should have culled the eggs but you see I cant cull them now cause they are swimming around and heck I cant even kill a fly LOL

I noticed that someone is selling Daphnia on the trade and exchange part of this board and I was hoping I could feed them both brine shrimp and daphnia.

If anyone does know where I can get some brine shrimp cheaper than $12 for 3 small packets I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers

Meg