911 Palmy Shop Crawl

Faran

So today we went on my first shop crawl to Palmy and back. As we're (blueandkim) just back 3 months back into fish after a long long hiatus - 10 years for blue - we've only been to the local shops and Jansens in Mt Eden when visiting Auckland (blue's uncle and aunt are retired fishkeepers).

So today, the 911 3-year anniversary; we (blue and fishy friends) visited some shops on a beautiful Sunday drive to and from Palmy. We hit stores on the way, there, and back and got some really nice fish. Other people got some nice ones as well either directly - Brichardi, Leleupi, etc. - but here's a few of the ones we added to our family today. Quite happy about the last one.

You'll have to excuse the "LFS in..." tag, I don't want to name anyone directly either to promote or demote them.

"Blind Mexican Cave Tetras" from LFS in Palmy - eww, u can see the little beady eye and teeth....

Blinds1.jpg

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish ... f4669.html

"Emperor Tetras" from LFS in Paraparaumu - will be trying to breed these

Emperors.jpg

http://madhunag.tripod.com/emperortetra.html

"Chocolate Striped Cat" from LFS in Palmy

Panaque2.jpg

http://www.aquascapeonline.com/store/sc ... roduct=124

We got some other fish, but nothing really outstanding... heck, the above fish are hardly mentionable ;) What IS mentionable was the amazing displays at a LFS in Palmy! WOW!!! :o

Sadly enough my tanks are pretty full and I was only able to buy one fish from them (a XL Male Congo Tetra for my breeding shoal) but the well known LFS in Palmy (not a corporation) really inspired me to come home and give my tank designs some serious thought. The aquascaping was show quality even in the tanks for sale. These people really know how to take care of fish and I'd be keen to make more day-trips up to Palmy (when I can feel my wallet again) just to go and :drool: over tanks.

Not sure if it's an amazing experience for the JAFAs, but if you're a WellyWood ressie and never been, definitely put it on your to-do list.

Smooth. That wall of 10 or 12 x 400 (guess) litre display tanks is impressive. They have the one odd tank with just a lone arowana (I personally think these fish aren't really made for the aquarium) but the rest are well thought out with a great variety of fish, decorations, sloping scenes and... well, just the best aquascapes I've seen outside of "Fish Tank Telly" in NZ.

Have to say, the main purpose of this trip - trying to find good Bettas around here - was a failure. People need to get these fish breeding locally before they all get killed off by over-eager 5 year olds that get them as pressies.

Smooth. That wall of 10 or 12 x 400 (guess) litre display tanks is impressive. They have the one odd tank with just a lone arowana (I personally think these fish aren't really made for the aquarium) but the rest are well thought out with a great variety of fish, decorations, sloping scenes and... well, just the best aquascapes I've seen outside of "Fish Tank Telly" in NZ.

Have to say, the main purpose of this trip - trying to find good Bettas around here - was a failure. People need to get these fish breeding locally before they all get killed off by over-eager 5 year olds that get them as pressies.

Have to agree with you on the way betta's are treated over here ... a birthday pressie they are bored with 4 hours later ... " go meet the porcelan bowl of no return" .... and then they ask for the " puppy" ! :o

imagine stuffing that down the throne ...bet they can !! :roll:

Actually, it's as often bored college kids that end up getting a betta as often a young kid... and kill them just as quickly :cry:

klay - Sorry I missed your earlier comment about WellyWood-JAFA. Yeah, you guys need to leave your comfy big city and "rough it" with Mrs. Clarke a little. "Rub elbows with the stars and see lots of fish tanks in WellyWood!" Better bring a GPS though... LONG drive and I know how you big city folk get confused in the Big Smoke :wink:

"Rough it" :o geez I usually bugga off to asia and backpack around there for a month each year .. wouldn't even comment on what is there.. my finger tips would be bruised typing .. but sad as it is . have been overseas alot but never south of N/Plymouth ... so can't knock you southerners ( but being a jaffa it comes naturally :wink: ... ya know :lol: ) ... going back next August and this time will take heaps of pics from Thailands/Cambodias fish shops ... but for all you people who want to see asian fish in their natural habitat... give me 20 mins an will post sum pics from asia.. :wink: 8)

Ira - $20-30! That "LFS" charged me $60 for one of them! Serves them right, I say.

klay - Yes please, would dig some pix. As there's really no endemic tropical fish down here, I'd rather go to Asia on fish hunting trips, fo sho. I'm assuming that's what u do in asia, o course ;)

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/lo ... /151_f.php

For those of you that are wondering what the reference to that mislabeled "Choc Striped Cat" above - it's actually a Royal Panaque or Royal Pleco. Both grow very large and have stripes, but they are very very different. I thought I was learning something but ended up a very lucky person. Hope karma doesn't bite me in the butt and take it away just as quickly and easily!

LOL Alan, it's on the first page of this thread. Did a thorough search of the tank tonight and came across BN fry, but no panaque. There is a very large peice of dritwood riddled with caves and the BNs have dug out a cave netwrok under it. I didn't go so far as moving it to check under it so I HOPE it's just under there growing brave. The BNs are pretty large and not used to intruders, so he may just be scared He'll outgrow them soon enough!