Oily looking scum on top of water?

Gretal

Tank has been full of water for about a week now, with a large piece of wood in it (and stones) I'm basically using it to soak the wood, as the rubbish bin I bought to soak it in wasn't quite big enough. The wood was in the bin for about 2 weeks, if not more, and was pretty well soaked during that time. Water was clear etc.

When I put it in the tank, it was still floating, so I've sat a 5kg bag of stones to it to keep it submerged.

Noticed this morning that there is an oily/fatty looking scum on the top of the water. When you put your finger into it, and drag it along, it looks like congealed fat or something. Any idea whats causing it? We haven't had flyspray or anything similar. Nothing I can think of at all. Surely if it was anything to do with the wood, it would've happened before now?

There are no fish in the tank yet btw! It's basically just being used as a large bucket, until I can get my wood to stay submerged ;)

It wouldn't be the plastic bag the stones are in? I'm just clueless as to what it could be.