Al Cheapo Zeovit Reactor

wasp

When starting out on zeovit the reactor can be the major expense, so thought I'd post a pic of my DIY one. Made out of those food containers you get at Foodtown, the whole thing cost less than $20.00.

Should say though, this is a small tank reactor, good for up to 100 gallons.

reactorapart.jpg

To do the daily pump, I lift the top section out, and while it's still underwater give it a few good shakes. Works well.

There is a place down the road from me called Engineering Plastics, that sell every o ring you could ever want.

But I think every town will have somewhere that does o rings, just got to phone around some likely places.

Engineering Plastics

heheee, in glenfield. they are one of my clients. i already asked for plastic cylinders when i was there last time to make a diy rowaphos reactor.

anyways, nice work wasp. wish you'd posted about a week ago I just spent $150 on a grotech reactor :-?

world famous in nzl i see... :wink:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?p=162

When I shake mine, I see mulm come off, and sometimes this will even temporarily visibly cloud the tank.

I think the purpose is severalfold, one just to get it off the stones and make room for new bacterial growth, one to put the stuff in the water column where it can be skimmed along with the nutrients it contains, and the other one to feed corals. Some of it is too big for corals, but some is probably OK, bacteria can be excellent coral food.

Anyhow, like much of the zeovit system the manufacturer says one thing and other people have other ideas, but I'm happy just to follow the instructions, it makes sense to me anyway.

Having said all that there are people who don't shake or pump it and it still seems to work. However I was told by G. Alexander ( a German with an amazing sps tank ), that if he does not pump his reactor daily he notices his corals go paler after a time.

Hey, check out this new product :Dhttp://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php ... #post38510