peace lilly & babys tears

leeves

Babies tears is a common plant grown in aquariums. If you buy one as a houseplant you must slowly acclimatise it to underwater conditions. Easier to buy one which has been cultivated to grow underwater.

Peace lilies can be put in an aquarium but they are not a true aquatic plant, they are a marsh plant. They will grow very slowly but tend to die.

Never actually done it but I assume you just slowly raise the water level over a few weeks until it is totally submerged.

Has anyone else done this?

You might also try cutting a few trailing bits and planting them straight into the tank and see what happens.

Check that the Latin name shows that the babies tears is a Bacopa sp (B.caroliniana,B.lanigera or B.monniera) These are the plants that New Zealand aquarists refer to as being babies tears All three of these are being grown by me you can view pics of them and flowers at my web site.

Babies tears may also refer to another plant under the name of Hemianthus another aquatic plant easy to grow or it could be Helxine this is not an aquatic plant and so on.

Common names are not to be trusted that's all the name is a common name and will refer to different plants with who ever to may talk to.

If you do have a Bacopa sp then it is just a matter of submersing it, all the Bacopa's are fast and easy to grow, pruning/cuttings are very easy just chop away with a sharp pair of scissors even a single leaf left to float can re-grow into a new stem.

With regard to Peace lilies the correct one you should look for to grow submersed is Spatiphyllum wallisii, I have seen quite a few people using them along the back of the aquarium with the roots in the tank and leaves above, It prefers semi shade conditions and seems to do better in soft acid waters and not too hot i.e. <25c

It is slower to grow submersed but is hardy and robust enough to withstand attacks from cichlids.

Good reply Paul, I was going to also suggest checking the Latin name. Many times a common names exist for a bunch of different plants that have no relation to each other. Amazon sword is a clissic example. There are at least 5 different species sold as Amazon swords. They all look vaugely similar when small (shop sized), but look very different as adult plants.