Snakeneck Turtles..Breeding..

scoobyjene

:wink:

We have one very randy male snakeneck..

he sems to be forever at the female..

should we remove him to give her a break??

they are in a large 4ft tank by themselves.

she doesnt seem to be under any stress at the moment but i am thinking maybe he needs to move out for a wee while??

Hiya scooby!

Not sure, but if you get any bubbas from them we'll be keen to buy one (or 2) from ya! Love the shape and personality of these guys and looking forward to having some in our family someday!

How's the weather in Levin? Nice and sunny in WGTN 2day!

B&K

Hi B&K

Levin has been rainy,fine,rainy..

We have one baby snakeneck unrelated though..

I reckon the snakes have more personalitly than the red ears.. mind u we have 21 reds..

We did have a big red in with the snakenecks but they picked on her. :( . so she went in with our other big red females..

I saw the adult snakes at the napier aquarium and got addicted.. :wink:

:wink:

We have one very randy male snakeneck..

he sems to be forever at the female..

should we remove him to give her a break??

they are in a large 4ft tank by themselves.

she doesnt seem to be under any stress at the moment but i am thinking maybe he needs to move out for a wee while??

I think the key is that she's not stressed by it so far then leave him in. If he starts to get "aggresive" though, it's definitely time to get him out.

The real question is whether you want to try and breed them? If not take him out, if you do want to breed them leave him in, and count me in for at least one or two Snake Neck hatchlings.... :lol: (seriously - they are soooo cute).

21 RES, do you breed them?

The adult snakes are not as weird looking as the babies..

i have found the snakenecks have a great personality, but then again so do all our red ears..one diff i have noticed though, is that the reds chase food fast where as a fish can live with the snake necks and not be bothered at all.

we have only 3 male reds now as they were chatting the girls too much and got attacked..

we have only 3 male reds now as they were chatting the girls too much and got attacked..

:o I thought it was normally the males that made the females life difficult???

We've only got the single male, I'd like to get him two or so female friends, especially for when he (and they) go out into a pond. But as you know it's pretty much lucky dip in terms of what you get male/female.

How long have you been keeping turtles?

i have a breeding pair of red ears....one male and two females if anyones interested...yea the snake necks have great personalities....i had two a year ago but sold to a freind who breeds them as i had two males....yea if anyone interested post me

cheerz