salt mix

puttputt

I wonder if any one else is using or has used the crystal sea marinemix salt available at HFF. I have used it since starting my reef tank and have so far haven't had any reason to doult it. However, after reading a few threads on RC and WWM, I'm beginning to wonder.

There's alot of negative comments esp. when using it with other salt brands. People have lost corals shortly after using this mix on water changes, mainly sps which is where I'm heading.

Really interested to hear any other experiences with it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, sounds reassuring. I mix my salt after each water change (Saturdays) so it mixes for a week with a pump and heater going so is crystal clear and warm before I add it. Change 60 litres each week, tank volume over 1000 litres now refugium up and running.

My pH sits at 8.2 - 8.4.

• 1 month later...

Just continuing this topic from 6 weeks ago...

What other salt mixes do those who use ASW use? I see Jansens sell Instant Ocean but it's bloody expensive ($54 to make 240 litres - thats a single water change tonight for me - hence why I usually stick with NSW) I notice others for sale, like Red Sea brand on Trademe. I've read reviews and see Instant Ocean is one of the better ones. Who sells this in bulk at a better price? At $54 for 240 litres thats 22.5 cents/litre. They also sell bags to make 600 litres for $130 odd. That's 21.6 cents/litre, not a great deal cheaper.

Dogmatix, which salt are you talking about. If you are referring to the crystal sea salt, I'd seriously check your testing. It is all I've used and never had any ammonia readings since cycling. Don't have any nitrate reading either (salifert) so not being converted to that.

these guys have to say this........

"kent sea salt preliminary investigations indicate that this product is very similar to Reef Crystals, which is similar to Instant Ocean.."

"Red sea claim having trace elements distributed in a new method concerns experts...The S-15 Report clearly shows this product varies dramatically to the point of defying the mixing procedure employed to produce this item"

"Instant Ocean claim of having all elements known to be essential is misleading.......However, the most costly elements are omitted and found only as impurities"

These guys seem to rubbish all other salts except the one they sell

" Marine Environment dual phase formula"

...a strange article to use Dogmatix.

All the test were done over 5 years ago and the way they are made has changed, so the tests are useless.

Salt mixes can be made better by using pure chemicals, but what is the point as it gets too expensive.

Best salt?? what ever is the cheapest.

ooooh yeah, i can't wait to add another $100 a month to my already expensive hobby... not to mention cost of prefilters, RO filter, DI resin and water bill... :D

whats that? how many billion cubic litres of seawater right at my door step? say what? for free? nooo...., and here i was paying a local retailer for a bag of little white granules :lol: