Aqua One AR980 Filter or Eheim 2230 Filter?

HelifaxNZ

Hi, I'm wanting some feedback on whether it is better to keep using the in-built filter of the Aqua One or should I use an externa canister Eheim or maybe both!

Also I find when the water drops down after being filtered, it can be very noisy. Has anyone else noticed this and any suggestions to dampen the noise?

Many thanks

Helifax

Hi there!

We have the same tank and yeah, the hood filter is noisy-as. First question is - do you have the tank filled up to the max water level? This should be just below the middle support bar. Next question is - how long have you had it running for? We noticed that it was VERY loud when brand new and quieted down a bit once the filter had some "gunk" in it to slow down the water flow.

As for filtration, I think that power head pushes 1000litres an hour, which is plenty for that 215 litre tank. We added another external filter simply because we have Discus in there and very very good filtration is needed. Have to say, fitting another filter through the very very small hole they leave for power cables in the hood filter is a difficult job and I recommend doing it with as little water and decorations involved. The powerhead gets in the way and it's overall not very fun as we REALLY didn't want to start cutting apart the hood.

So, good luck with it, let us know how you get along! Here's our AR980 -

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/new-di ... t7892.html

I set up AR1200 of this style for a friend .. we kept the overhead filter and installed a canister .. you have to cut and join and cut and join etc .. the intake/outtake to move them over to the right half of the tank .. the good thing about adding the canister is you use this for all your replaceable media ( carbon , ammo sorb , phos sorb etc) without upsetting the bio up top ..

We eventually converted this to a nice soft coral reef tank and after changing tubes and modifying skimmer to fit works great plus looks fantastic ... with the water noise up top we put ehiem filter sponge up there to break up the full water gussing thru there...just keep an eye on it clogging up tho :D

Thanks for your replies folks, and BlueandKim, your tank looks awesome!

Well, I went to the LFS and bough some little black filters (I think Aqua ones), just 4cm x 3cm size. I cut them round to fit the outlet bottom. Also made them about 1.5cm high. This helped reduce the noise, also I had another one with a hole in the middle and just "sat" it on the water hole at the top. Doing all this quieten it down considerably, and it doesn't stop the waterflow by much at all. Once again, you will have to periodically check that the filter is not clogged.

While I was doing this I thought I would clean the filters as I haven't done it for a couple of weeks. I got a REAL SURPRISE! I had seen one or two brown baby bristlenoses sucking on the glass earlier. I saw one baby bristlenose trying to escape, then I saw one stuck "in" the intake! Later cleaning the filters I saw a few more, but this time it's baby Golden Bristlenoses! I have 3 brown bristles and 3 golden bristles in my tank.

So now I have also put a sponge on the intake tube so no more babies are going up the tube!!! :D

So for those who have an AquaOne tank, try what I've suggested above and that should fix the problem.

Cheers!

• 2 years later...

BlueandKim, I am finding the exact difficulties in adding a new canister filter to the AR980. As you said, the internal powerhead gets in the way. How did you actually solve this problem. I'm thinking of making the hole a bit wider by drilling to the right of it. Very interested to know how you did it (before I actually start drilling holes).

I had a SunSun type tank with the overhead filter 4 outlets made noise , I fitted small lengths of plastic tube in the outlet holes that reached below the water surface. Worked fine.

i removed the feeders for where the water enters the tank again & there is no noise what so ever. I added a canister to my tank to run in conjunction with the hood filter, best thing i ever did!

I bought an ar850 just over 6 weeks ago, and last weekend decided to fit a fluval. Realising that it wasn't going to fit out of the box, I came up with the solution below. The 15mm right angle connectors came from a pump and pool shop for $4.50 each, and I needed 4 of them, plus 1m of 15mm pipe for $4, and two hose clamps for $2.20 each.

The only Mod's I made to the tank hood were 2 15mm holes drilled in the back. Both holes were made 40mm down and approx 50mm from the side, so if I wanted I could still use the std filter.

Inlet.jpgOutlet.jpg

I used the plastic pipe to connect the hoses to on the back with hose

clamps, and also to connect the std fluval inlet and outlet fittings.

A tidy install of the filter with no leaks, and i'm still able to use the normal filter, what else do you need?

back.jpg