new marine setup,help please

tel

im just about to order my 1st marine tank.

1500-600-600 main tank,1200-600-600 sump directly below.

eheim 1260 return @ 2400lth 3.7 head (stated), pump to main inflow @ 2.8 vertical.rectangular overflow centre of tank@ 180-120 with durso standpipe,main tank inflow adjacent to overflow box (box higher on 3 sides,comb on low side away from inlet,trying to get pipes centralish)

sump order-deltec skimmer,baffles,caulerpa section,baffles,then return pump.

question-what size for plumbing? is 25mm ok?

-looking at 12-15mm glass, back and front to eliminate centre brace on main tank

any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks

Sounds good.

Flag the caulerpa, it's really not needed.

I assume it's going to be a reef? What sort of lighting are you looking at. I would recommend 3 250W halides (offset, two towards the back, the centre one closer the the front).

What about flow? You could go with tunze streams, or closed loop. (I prefer closed loop, a little less intrusive, but more plumbing)

Layton

Cool. T5's are a good option, and can be used in conjunction with halides when you move into keeping other corals.

I guess the key is to minimise the equipment that becomes redundant (due to being under powered) when you want to progress to keeping other animals. This usually means starting off with a good skimmer, as it is one of the more expensive and important items.

Layton

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to butt in on the thread,

Brianemone, just out of curiosity, what size holes need to be drilled in the glass for the bigger pipe on overflow, would you have a 32mm hole and then have a reducer into the durso?or have say a 42mm hole?sorry im only beginning with the whole reef thing.can you buy 42,32mm bulkheads?thanks

Add 5mm for the Tank Inlets (bulkhead is not what they call then in NZ). Add 10mm for the 50mm otherwise 5mm is fine for 40mm and smaller.

Drilling the hole. My 5 footer has duel 25mm holes/dursos/overflows and it can just keep up (big pump though). I would reccomend going BIG, like 40mm Tank Inlet (bulk head), with 40mm stand-pipe. I would then reduce down to either 32mm or 25mm for everything else. Why, one thing everyone here has learned, is you can't make a hole bigger without much hastle and risk. However it only costs about $2 to make a hole smaller :) So go 40, reduce to 32 or 25. My personal experance has shown me that there are no downsides to using larger plumbing, and many downsides to using smaller. Of your not sure between 25 and 32, go 32.

Good luck, sounds like a good projects. Take it slow, take your time. Your on the right track by sorting out your tank logistics first. Get all the plumbing etc done before you start, and you will be onto a success.

Ohh you asked how close the inlet and outlet? It really won't matter, do what looks/works best. If you want to get tricky, you could pumb one through the overflow box. Can be awkward (so i've read, never donw it, but have thought about it), but will keep everything nice and tidy.

See ya.

Pie

thanks for everyones advice.after seeing 3 tanks off here in person, im going 32mm outlet with( 40mm durso in corner) and 2x 25mm inlets on bottom spaced out so each is 500 in from end and 500 between the two.(tank is 1500 long)im prob going to have 2x stainless end braces ala pies(no centre brace,running 2x skinny front and back braces instead) water dynamics have been really good about seeing me twice to change to larger fittings :oops:

Tel - Beware you don't want to have the inlets (from the sump) on the bottom. If you do and the power cuts, the system will drain out through it (this is not a syphon just draining) out.

I would reccomend either having the inlets drilled very close to the top of the waterline (say the same level as the bottom of the overflow comb) or not drilling and going over the top (sea swirl later on perhaps?).

Good luck, can't wait to see it setup.

Pie

im gonna come up @550 and have an elbow as i want the tank hard against the wall.ive got black piping to disguise them abit.ill be using an eheim 1260 to start and may plug one return, until i get the mother of pumps.thinking about putting 2x non return valves on for pump failure and count on some siphon capacity, but i really want to get inlets a little lower than the top.after seeing james tank i really want the return pump to be really grunty and provide some good effect for w/m.seeing his,im dropping the overflow @60 below top tho!

if i had a 40mm( hanson fitting ) inlet to the sump do i need a 45mm dorso?if so where would be a good place to get 45mm pvc pipe( mico doesnt sell 45mm here.? also with a eheim return pump can i split the return pipe 32mm into 2 holes going in the back of the tank?, or just have 1,i will have 2 closed loops in the tank.

can anyone suggest a good way to make reef racks/suppliers of materials?tank only a week away,stand to be made next yaa!! :) when i look at the start date of this thread it seems like ive been stuffing around like an old #&*@#!i better get up with the photo shiz so i can document it,seems nothing better than seeing pics of how others do it.